xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Reaver

Hooked On Sigs Come to join the gfx community from asta

Hi to all here at Xisto and the gfx crew its good to be back, and since seeing saint michael post his sigs at Xisto i decided to try my hand at it, and now i have it like a disease which is a good thing so this is my 6th day of making sigs and i would appreaciate as much critisism as possible whether it be constructive or otherwise.

// Images not Found //

You have some very nice sigs there Reaver. Generally good brushing and blending of the renders. I think you should steer clear of the small animations in the sigs, 480Kb+ for a sig is way too big. The only other general thing I could say is be careful with your smaller text, some of it looks a little pixelated. I look forward to seeing some of your other creations, good work! :)

Wow, that's only six days of work, eh? Heh, you must be addicted... Like the rest of us :). But i must say those are some pretty decent sigs you have here. Usually i'm not interested in tech borders, but the ones with tech borders are actually pretty good. What i see that you need some improvement on is blending of the render. You seem to go the easy way out by motion blurring them. And that doesnt really work for most of them. My favorite one would have to be the one with the orange and black tech borders.

pretty decent sigs however the borders look very basic... and generally your sigs are mono-tone, i would reccomend having a "universal" sig size, generally its best to stick to 1 particular size... your brushing is a bit weak too...6/10 over all...

Yeah, overall everything is polished and presented well. As Avalon said, 400+kb is too big for a signature, but I was quite suprised by the other one, which was about 140kb. If you can keep them that size, I'd say it's quite a neat addition to any signature collection. Now maybe try getting some more depth in the background. Right now it's all brushed well - most of them anyway, but the majority of them still lack the textured or depth feeling. I really suck at getting depth in my backgrounds, but if you can do it (plus better text effects) you'll definitely be a pro :)

Thanks for the responses guy i am making those adjustments now, or trying to atleast :)@Avalon - the big sigs i just tried out because i am doing all possible ways of sigs i can to get a feel of it. The sub text is a pixel font that is recommended 04b_08 or sumthing along those line with pretty much no aliasing so thats teh "pixelated" reason.@ truefusion - yep 6 days and thats about half of the sigs i made because sum are not appropriate for the forum ^^ and others are not worth it. I have also taken a liking to tech borders and can you please suggest other ways of belnding besides masking using lasso tool and motion blur..@samma - the sig sizes being different is because alot of teh nz forums hav a specific size which i try to meet the max of (400x100) but since trap and asta allow a decent size i hav tried diff ones, once i get my own "style" im sure i will find a decent size. still getting used to multicoloured sigs but i would have never thought my sigs are monotone :? the borders i tried so far as u can see are tech, black stroke and a combination of 2 strokes feel free to tell me more to spice things up and yes i will work on my brushing, cheers mate.@ Cool Freaker - the second animation sig that is 140 kbs is actually a glitch :) if u watch it u will notice it bugs out thats because it didnt upload properly to imageshack and i didnt realize its actuall size is 650 kbs ;) heheh please point me in the direction of text effects as that is definitly a big area of improvement for me and maybe a few tips and hints on how to get depth cheers.Reaver

can you please suggest other ways of belnding besides masking using lasso tool and motion blur..

Polygonal lasso tool + layer masking, and motion blurring are just a couple of ways to blend an image. Other ways are using layer modes, color balance, brushing over the render, and whatnot. Usually, when i take the easy way out (basically blurring), i try to use more than 2 layers and use a combination of layer modes, sometimes color, and other stuff. For example, if i were to make a pixel stretch sig, i would use motion blur on the render (after duplicating it) so it would seem like the render is merging with the pixel stretch. When i'm using gaussian blur i duplicate the render layer 3 times, first duplicated layer i blur 1px, 2nd duplicate i blur 3px, and 3rd duplicate i blur 5px. The original layer i move on top of the duplicates. This makes the edges seem smooth, and not rough. Hope this info helps you, and others.

Thanks for the quick reply truefusion, i also use a few layers when i blur my images but i dont seem to get that result of making the pixel stretch and the blur seem one. I will try out your gaussian blur method - just for reference sake my method is to pixel stretch move that layer under the render apply softlight, duplicate the render then on the bottom render add motion blur with settings 0 and 35 then duplicate that layer twice which gives me the left right blur and then ctrl a copy merged go to the top render edit paste and sice that creates a new layer on that layer i gaussian blur 4.5 and then set to soft light.

I've noticed a good way to start with making text more interesting is to try something 3D and adding different textures or blending or whatnot to it:
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ - is a basic 3D text tutorial.

Also funky is when you use another image as the fill for your text, as seen: http://www.lovemyvouchers.co.uk/

Ok i have taken these things into account :

- Improved Border

- Depth (I tried )

- New Text Style

- Different Blending Mode (didnt use blur at all)

- Trying to Find a Universal size ( liking this 1 )

- Monotone.....Still not sure about this but this sig looks "toned"

- No big animation

This is wat i got :

Posted Image

Please R & C again

I would really appreciate sum feedback from the Xisto Gfx Crew also when you guys have time.

Cheers

Reaver

yeahi i get to destroy your sig design skills MUHAHAHAHA on a side not i just found this post while searching in google, so go figure.well in general you have some good stuff just have to work at it and maybe fix up the loose ends can't wait to see you in the battle field.