xisto Community
moldboy

Giving Your Two Cents

In holland we had 2 Eurocent, exastly!!. But thank god they banned those stupid little cents. I like 50 cent better :P : Go! Go! Go! shorty.. its you birthday!! :P

Just kidding.

201387[/snapback]

You're extremely lucky, here in France we still have 2 cents and 1 cents. They're so annoying and hard to get rid of!

I don't think there is a French equivalent to giving one's "two cents" but we do have the saying "une blague ? deux balles" which is an insult. It basically means, literally that the joke is worth "two Francs", that's it's stupid.

They don't mean 2 cents as in Money I think it means just like your opinion no matter how small it or meaningless it is. Not 2 cents of your money.

201615[/snapback]

I think actually it does originate back to money, more specifiacally to do with money in poker. But yes, today, that's more or less what the saying means.

And which country doesn't have a 1 cent? Don't they all?

Didn't read the thread properly, did ya?

In Australia we did away with our one & two cent coins - lowest is five cents now so everything gets rounded up or down when you pay with cash - but the saying still has the same meaning here.

here in the philippines we also use the 2 cents worth thing although we just got it from the states (english is our second language and most filipinos are fluent in it). We do not have an exact tranlslation or counterpart with that although sometimes e use the term "kuro kuro"..