xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
shigajet

Fantastico- Image Gallery Software Which one do you recommend?

Hi there! I've been looking into using one of the image gallery programs provided in cpanel - both Coppermine and Gallery look really good. Although many of the opinions out there are varied, I'd like to know which one would you recommend out of the two? Coppermine is widely available and has lot of skins, but what about Gallery (especially the new version that just came out)?

I use coppermine photo gallery and I recommend you to use the same. Gallery looks good too but displaying option of the particular picture while viewing is not as satisfied as coppermine photo gallery. And when it comes to setting also coppermine gallery seems to be easier and userfriendly than gallery. I've tested gallery version 2 as well but still I prefer coppermine photogallery. Coppermine photogallery is widely used and very well integrated with most of the content management systems available today too.

I also recommend Coppermine, especially if you want to allow visitors/members to make comment on and rank entries in the gallery. The interface is easy for visitors to use while still giving you a fair amount of flexibility to configure the gallery the way you want it.I don't know much about Gallery, I know I tried it but that was quite a while ago. For flexibility in skins and integration in other content management systems, Coppermine comes out on top for me. :)

I actually prefer MiniGal. I just think it's easier than coppermine and personalizing it doesn't require you to tweak parts of the code. You can even download then install skins to suit your site's theme. I used to install both Gallery and Coppermine but I found that Gallery looks too simple and Coppermine a bit complex. I'm finding them hard to tweak/modify until I came across MiniGal. It's really nice, you only have to download it from the website and then upload it to your folder and then just change the settings to whatever you like. :)

Minigal main website
My Gallery