xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
rvalkass

Debating Need some help for deabting in English

We are doing some group debates on Wednesday, on the subject of:

"Books From The Past Have No Relevance Today"

I am arguing that this point is true (we had no choice), but, having never done debating before, I need some general tips and advice on debating, and also preparing my speech with some examples and points. I am the opening speaker and I so far have the following points to talk about:

Society has changed making many references irrelevant

New technologies, theories and ideas mean past situations would no longer occur

Changing attitudes and values make past stories inaccurate and no longer relevant

Newer books are more up-to-date, accurate and revised meaning older books are no longer needed

Any more ideas, tips, points, examples or anything are greatfully received.

Thank you in advance :)

We are doing some group debates on Wednesday, on the subject of:

"Books From The Past Have No Relevance Today"

I am arguing that this point is true (we had no choice), but, having never done debating before, I need some general tips and advice on debating, and also preparing my speech with some examples and points. I am the opening speaker and I so far have the following points to talk about:

Society has changed making many references irrelevant

New technologies, theories and ideas mean past situations would no longer occur

Changing attitudes and values make past stories inaccurate and no longer relevant

Newer books are more up-to-date, accurate and revised meaning older books are no longer needed

Any more ideas, tips, points, examples or anything are greatfully received.

Thank you in advance :)

193929[/snapback]

good starting points, you can always think what the arguments of the opposing side might be and try to think of good counter arguments that are based on your original arguments.

three or four key reasons are usually sufficient. Don;t try to have to many. Nobody will remember them all.

Try to come up with a snappy phrase for your replies. something like: Those stuck in the past can stay - there I go into the future. Just shorter and snappier (-:

In your introduction choose one example incident or story that will really hold your argument.Don't preempt anything from the opposing side, don;t assume their reasons in debate, hear what they say. listen carefully. A good debater, knows what the opponents said and can quote it back at them. therefore use their arguments against them. show how ridicules they are when followed to their logical conclusion.be short and sweet, but calm and convincing.Plan you summary with one or two of your original points but with an additional punchline.

Looks like I am late on this one, but nevertheless, how did the debate go? Sounds interesting to me. Always hard to debate when there's a good gap between your personal opinion and the statement that you're defending :)