xisto Community
dymondgurl

Linux, Linux Users, Linux Community, Etc. Me expressing my hate for Linux

For years now I have been trying to get away from windows and explore other operating systems. With all the security flaws in windows its no wonder people want to try to find something else that is secure. So I did my research and I read a few things that said that Linux, Unix, and FreeBSD was the way to go. So I tried my hand in it. I read the disclaimers and all that. I know that they say that it is difficult to start out and it is totally different from windows operating systems. But what I dont understand is why they choose to make everything so darn difficult. Yes, I said choose. Just now I'm reading a quick start read-me file for the ubuntu distro based on debian and it says to add repositories and DOES NOT EXPLAIN WHAT THE HECK A REPOSITORY IS. I've been to IRC channels and try to talk to Linux users to get help and they are all jerks. No one wants to take the time to explain anything to you. The manuals and tutorials are crap. And the GUI looks like poop! So I ask, what is so great about Linux anyways? I haven't seen anything to impress me yet. It was only my curiosity that drove me to check out Linux but it sucks.

Reasons why it sucks:

1) Drivers for linux are impossible to find and most of them are written by some college nerd that pretty much might be the same person writing viruses for windows.

2) The GUIs (desktop manager or whatever they call them  :D ) look terrible. I've downloaded themes for gnome and it still looks like poop.

3) Installing applications are impossible. You open up terminal (command prompt thingy) and type a bunch of mumbo jumbo and you still get errors and nothing ever works right. You have to be a rocket scientist to figure that crap out.

4) Everyone who uses linux is some egg head nerd that thinks he knows everything so why would he WANT to help you. Hence, the Linux community are a bunch of snobs. *flips bird*

5) The initial installation process takes like 4 score and 7 years. I mean really, what the heck is it installing all that time? I've tried debain, ubuntu, and fedora, all the same crap.

6) Cause I said so.

No more will I attempt to use linux.

193241[/snapback]

1) I agree.

2) If you like Windows 98/ME/2000 look, then KDE has a theme for that.

3) With SuSE Linux, just click on an RPM in Konqueror, and click the Install with YaST button (or something similar)

4) I use Linux and I can barely pass as a Windows nerd.

5) SuSE Linux was installing tons of packages (aka free software that you would pay tons for in Windows versions, half of which you can either unselect in the first place, or uninstall later)

6) That's a matter of opinion. Don't go telling the world why you can't do things, when they have been done.

Hmmm.. well, I just started Linux class Tuesday.. and here I am, replying on a computer running Fedora Core 2 o.oThe teacher gave us install CDs and a blank computer and just.. let us go crazy. 15 minutes deciding what to install... an hour waiting for it to install... and here I am, connected and playing with Firefox o.oEveryone says the install is a pain, and the GUI is bad.. but when I launched it, I was actually surprised at how much it looks... a very lot like Windows XDOh well.. maybe I missed something o.o

Installing SuSE Linux for me was relatively easy, between deciding what packages to install and selecting the timezone. I ran into a resonable bottleneck - the partitioner wouldn't let me shrink my windows partition more than it recommended I should, leaving me with about 220 MB of free space. Is there any Windows XP theme for KDE? I sort of like Thin Keramik, but an XP theme would rule (especially for a long time Windows user like me).

FROM THIS POINT FORWARD I AM SORRY FOR BEING RUDE BUT YOU JUST POPED MY BUBBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(:D:(:(:D:D

Dear duymongurl (o something),

For your information, Linux is one of the if not the best Os's ever to come! And besides i and alot of friends use Ubuntu linux and we have had no problem with it!! Why do you have to be sooo darn insulting? i mean you get everything in linux for free! You dont have to pay huge bucks to get it like you have to in Windows! Just becuase you don't know how to use linux and just because you had a hard time with it's graphics doesn't mean linux is all bad!!! I mean did you know that there is only 3 to 4 viruses for linux IN THE WORLD!!!! Ain't that good enough for you ! And why did you go and ask for help in the chat rooms! of course they were rude cause they just want to chat! the are not CUSTOMER SERVICE Representatives! Why did'nt you try the help forum in ubuntu.com? They helped me step by step it the last click!

So PLEASE be more polite when ritisising Linux Before even knowing it!!!

Sorry for the (Rudeness) But you left me no choise!,

TRY THE FORUM!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:(:P:P

Bye Bye!

Whoa whoa whoa!
What's all this about?

1) Drivers for Linux are impossible to find and most of them are written by some college nerd that pretty much might be the same person writing viruses for windows.

You should be grateful to the person that wrote the drivers for your devices! They could also just go and do something else instead of writing device drivers for some dude that just got a new e.g. TV card.

There are numerous reasons why the manufacturer of some hardware equipment does not write drivers for Linux, but only Windows:

1) The company just does not feel like it
2) The company employees don't know how to do it
3) The company has an unwritten "contract" with Microsoft that pressures them to hesitate writing drivers for Linux
4) etc.

So, it's not some coder's fault that the drivers do not work well, after all, most manufacturers even refuse to publish any driver writing documentation for their devices and, therefore, leave the driver coder nothing to start with! That's the primary reason for most non-working/partially-working drivers for Linux being present on the internet.

Why do you think NTFS disks are read-only in Linux? Because Microsoft won't publish any information about writing drivers for the NTFS file system (I guess we should all understand why)!

So, give it a rest already!

OK you must really just be stupid if you cant figure windows out and say that it looks bad. To be honest, it look a ton better than windows becuase you can configure so many more things and get many more applications and such.

1) Drivers for linux are impossible to find and most of them are written by some college nerd that pretty much might be the same person writing viruses for windows.

This is not true. Many Linux OS' like Suse (which i use) have many of these drivers on their servers and can be installed using their installation system and such. Otherwise, if you actually read the README file and follow its instructions, it really isnt hard. If you get an error, just page up and see what it is. Like it tells you what it is checking during the MAKE INSTALL command and just go to Yast or the other installation utility and install it. You most likely just did not include many compilation / programming tools when you did your basic installtion and most of these are needed if you install other opensource code. Besides that, installation is simple (yes not as simple as windows but its because of why Linux is so good at what it does since it optimizes all installations to your personal computer when you install using make)

2) The GUIs (desktop manager or whatever they call them  mad.gif ) look terrible. I've downloaded themes for gnome and it still looks like poop.

Have you ever heard of KDE??? KDE makes your desktop look just like windows and actually better. You have a taskbar just like windows which you can change ever aspect of it or install a theme that already has made those changes. You also could install a slider that can act like the taskbar thus making the Linux desktop look similar if not exactly like a Mac OS which is nice and enjoyable.

3) Installing applications are impossible. You open up terminal (command prompt thingy) and type a bunch of mumbo jumbo and you still get errors and nothing ever works right. You have to be a rocket scientist to figure that crap out.

Read my response to 1.) since its just about the same but this really used to be the case. Now that Linux has gained much popularity, many vendors are releasing good drivers for their hardware in both Linux and Windows version and can be installed directly from the Linux OS' server and from their websites. You can optimize the source or just install an RPM that are simple to find and your done and the hardware works. Nothing hard about it.

4) Everyone who uses linux is some egg head nerd that thinks he knows everything so why would he WANT to help you. Hence, the Linux community are a bunch of snobs. *flips bird*

No way. The majority people who talk in Linux forums are the newbies who are trying to figure out what they heck they need to do to get it working. The reason this is is because Linux just uses different more exact terminology for the same things that windows does. Once you learn the terminology, it becomes easy. Plus, there are a ton more forums about linux than windows because so many questions can be asked. Yes, you might have to search for a while to get an easy answer if you are newbie in order to get your issue resolved but once to find it, you have learned so much that the hard answer you can understand so in the future you wont have to search as long. Plus, with every update, many of those problems are fixed and you dont have to do anything like that anymore.

5) The initial installation process takes like 4 score and 7 years. I mean really, what the heck is it installing all that time? I've tried debain, ubuntu, and fedora, all the same crap.

This is so not true. My installation for a fully built Linux OS (not Gentoo since it compiles everything) running Suse 9.3 or 10.0 took less time than Windows since formatting takes like 2 seconds. I'd say it to 35 minutes and included KDE, all the Programming Tools, a bunch of games, OpenOffice, Apache and PHP and other web development tools / hosting, and a file server. What else do you need from an initial installation. It takes roughly an hour to install windows and then you have to do all the updates and software thus approximately takes 1 day to fully setup a windows pc where linux takes 1 hr and you only have roughly 1 more hour left to install any misc software.

Finally, your 6th reason is not a reason at all and you just need to learn that with change comes hardship but once the hardship is passed, the rewards are great. Try Suse it is simple and once you become advanced it still does the job for you.

If you want it all: Buy a Mac. Yo uget all the Unix goodness, the easy to use interface, great Apple only software (iLife), and commerical software.You get your Apache, PHP, MySQL and your Photoshop/Dreamweaver all in one boot and no hassles. Not to mention iLife...

Yeah, but unfortunately, "all" means more money :( , and I doubt that some people have much of that... Of course, many people also like to experiment with Linux on Mac too, so getting a Mac won't be a reason to say goodbye to Linux!