xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
andrescasta

Inspiron/latitude/precision Quality Differences?

Hi, are there differences in quality concerning the Latitude/Inspiron/Precision models?For example are the more expensive latitudes more sturdy, have higher quality components or are they all the same in all 3 different product lines?andrescasta

I haven't seen enough Dell laptops to know for sure on the quality differences. In the desktop series, it usually has more to do with how the system is optimized. We had tons of troubles getting Dimensions to behave in a business network, but there's also no way an Optiplex could handle the games that a Dimension can. I've only ever worked on one Precision desktop, and it was so old by the time I got to it that I can't say a great deal about it. The Optiplex series is no less likely to fall over dead than a Dimension, so I don't see any real differences in the overall physical quality of the two separate lines. The Optiplex is definitely engineered more toward the "stability" end of the spectrum than the "performance" end.kservice

Thank you for your replies. I am currently between the Inspiron 9300 and the Precision M70. Next to the XPS these are the best performers for 3D games (the XPS is overpriced IMO). And compared to the Inspiron the Precision has a pointer navigation as well, which means for me that for games I do not need a mouse (I am currently with an A31 IBM thinkpad and played games such as Unreal II and Half-Life 2 with a trackpoint). But the price difference is just too extreme. I am wondering if in case the components such as the harddisk, cd/dvd, ram are actually the same, the casing quality comparable and the only difference left is the 3 year warranty I would dare to hope that I could get a better price for the M70 using these arguments.Amazing I am basically willing to pay 200.- $ more and go with a smaller display just to be able to use a pointer instead of being bound to the touchpad or external mouse.....andrescasta

I found om the web that The M70 is built to a far higher degree of durability and stability than the i9300. That's not to say that the i9300 is poorly built; it certainly isn't. However, the quality of the Precision line is far beyond what you will find in the Inspiron line. If your only concern is gaming, though, I would go with the i9300. It will get better performance, and it will cost far less than the M70. The Precisions are designed for workstation class CAD/3D work, so unless that type of usage is in your future, I think the M70 will be overkill. The only benefit to the M70 is that it has a smaller form factor (15.4" screen) and weighs a little less, while still offering a top of the line gpu. Hope this helps.kservice

thanks again. Gaming is not my only concern, but the only concern that would require a good GPU ;-) To myself I made the deal to not got below the performance of an ATI x700. Otherwise I would be looking at the D810 as well. My biggest issue is than I am so much used to IBM thinkpads and to their trackpoint navigation. Just to perform a test I started up Unreal Tournament 2004 and disabled the trackpoint to play with an external mouse. It was really weird for me. Anyway as mentioned above I am willing to pay more just to have the little *BLEEP*-nub.First I was thinking about the new IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad Z Series, but in general the 70m series is the same as the D810.Actually to sum up what I use my notebook for is everything that can be replaced by a computer is done by the computer. So I don't have a Stereo and I don't have a tv. I do all that with the PC (listening to music, watching tv and DVD). I work in IT and do a lot of scripting, sometimes programming, but in general a lot of writing and don't want any keyboard with flexing. In privat I record music and need a high resolution to be able to see all the tracks and faders. And then again since childhood I always played on the PC and also love to game. I also travel a lot, but don't mind carrying the extra weight and don't need too much battery power, since most of the time I always find some kind of power source to use.Today between i9300 and M70 I get these results onlinei9300 -> 1699.- EUR | M70 -> 1750.- EUR17" WUXGA screen ----- 15,4" WSXGA+ screen6800 Go GPU ----- Quadro FX 1400 GPU8x +/- DVD/RW ----- 24x CD/RW + 8x DVD-ROM combo100gb 5400rpm HD ----- 40gb 7200rpm HDThe rest of the configuration is basically the same. Concerning the last two options (optical drive and HD) I already have an external 16x DVD Burner and in my current laptop a 60GB 7200rpm HD that I intend to use in the next laptop as well. Everything on the left looks peachy ;-) but it's missing a trackpoint.I guess I just have to find out what sacrifices I am willing to make to have a trackpoint navigation..... andrescasta

Whichever one of those comes with the longest warranty (standard) will last the longest and be of the best quality. I urge everyone to stay away from company computers and experience the difference of a customized home-built computer.