xisto Community
sunkist

Bandwidth Overusage Sudden surge in bandwidth usage

Hi:I am looking at my stats today, and I see a sudden surge in my bandwidth usage. I am concerned, because I have used over a third of the monthly alottment. It seems like something whacky is going on, but I don't know what to do.The number of unique visits has not dramatically increased. However, the number of page views is abnormally high. Way too high and out of porportion for the number of unique visits. For example, on October 3 I had 28,193 page views. I don't think these are histology students causing that huge surge (nobody likes histology THAT much). My site doesnt even have all that many pages. I assume this huge spike in page views is what is causing my band width to be used up. But why are page views so abnormally high? Is that what is eating up my bandwidth?More importantly, my question, and my problem, what do I do about it????Please help!Sunkist

Someone is probably eating up your bandwidth. In your AWstats, look at the IP section and look at the top IP, and how much bandwidth it has.It will most likely have a really high bandwidth usage, so you're going to want to ban that IP from your site.

google bots and msn bots are also to blame as well. but yeah that is odd makes me want to check mine out even though i don't really do any edits to it.

Hi:Ok, thanks for your input. There was one IP from Australia with an abnormally high band width usage. I blocked him (or her). Hopefully that will solve the problem.Still worried about bandwidth though. What happens if I use over 5 gigabytes of bandwidth in a month? Is my page unaccessable?Sunkist

I would advise you to trace this IP from Australia to see if it comes from a "normal" user, say a DSL user from Bigbond or other major ISPs, or a strange host. Normally a reverse DNS would give you the first clue about this IP address. What I worry is that this IP was just used as a proxy in the attack and that the attacker would change to another proxy and would continue with the DDoS attack. Also, you may block search engines from wasting your bandwidth by placing a robot.txt file at the root of your web space. You can then deny assess from over diligent search engines. However, your ranking may drop at the search engines by doing so. If the bandwidth limit is exceeded, there is usually the annoying page of ?bandwidth quota for this month has been exceeded?. That?s really bad.

There were some major problems regarding the bandwith usage statatistics. I have tried to see my bandwith usage several times in the Cpanel but it was 0% all the time.I haven't tried again to verify this information, but I'm really curious if the Xisto.com forum staff have fixed this issue till now.Enjoy the Xisto hosting! :huh:

Well, on normal hosts, you would get the bandwidth exceeded page. Not on Xisto, because we go by the honors system. Nothing will happen if you go over, except that it will show up in your stats.So, if you go over in your bandwidth, make the right choice and shut it down yourself.

Hi all:Well, it looks like blocking this person from Australia has solved the problem (keeps fingers crossed). At least for now. How would I trace IP? And I am not sure I know what you mean by "normal user".I do know from looking at my stats, however, it was something abnormal or malicious. Normally a visitor views an average of 5 pages of mine per visit.Thanks again for all your help.Sunkist

hmm ... regarding the bandwidth usage ... it's usually very hard to detect any hot linking ... but you can try to see the referral and see if your image is at the referral page or not ... or may be it's search engine bot activities ... google and yahoo has been quite aggresive lately .. :huh:

how would you go about shutting your site down without deleting your stuff?

194011[/snapback]

Go to your cPanel, click on Manage Redirects, and redirect everything to a page saying that you shut down your site temporarily because you used too much bandwidth.