xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
zootycoongold

My Website Any tips?

well my first tip would be to fix the broken link image on the page. and to just look around the web for pages whose designs strick your fancy and will some huge sweat and tears i'm sure you'll find ways to improve your site. The colors are alittle drab. I really should comment thought i think my site's still down.round

Great attempt at the site, but here is some constructive critizism:I find the text to be very big all over the site. Try taking it down a couple notches.The hit counter seems out of place. Get an invisible one if you can or change the colours. Also, I'm curious as to why there is a greyed out link for a singles site right below that.Finally, I have a pet peeve against people who use those animations like those. In my opinion, if you can't make your own, just use text links.

Your site is definitely informative for those who are looking for information on Miniature Railways in the UK. First of all I should say the content is quite satisfying... you could continue to update from time to time because your last update was way back in November 3rd (third) this year- 2005 (two thousand and five).Second point I would like to point is the very first picture in homepage cannot be viewed in mozilla firefox browser. Today many people are using firefox browser over microsoft internet explorer, especially webmasters. It will be nice of your site to be able to display the picture too.The third point is about the Menu, Menu should be on top, left or right of any webpage, if it is tucked in at the bottom it doesn't become userfriendly. So, I suggest the menu to be on top, left or right of the page.The fourth point is the font size. The font size too looks too big. I'm seeing your webpage in 1024x780 pixels and I still feel that it is too big. Those who view your site on 800x600 pixels will have to scroll up and down even for few sentences which is not very good.I hope you will put up pictures in your photogallery page as well. The above are my small input on your website. You don't necessarily need to follow them...Good luck!

* AMNESI The Domain Name Search Engine.

o Fuzzy DNS search finds misspelled names (eAmnesia.com)

* Bandwidth Management - Technology Articles (Allot Communications)

* Caching Tutorial for Web Authors and Webmasters (Mark Nottingham)

o "A Web cache sits between Web servers (or origin servers) and a client or many clients, and watches requests for HTML pages, images and files (collectively known as objects) come by, saving a copy for itself. Then, if there is another request for the same object, it will use the copy that it has, instead of asking the origin server for it again."

* Customize Your 404 Error Message (plinko.net)

o Make sure your site's visitors get where they need to go. How to make your own 404 page, plus other tips and hints

* Interactive buyer's guide: Caching (Network World, Inc)

* Internet and System Security (Dave Dittrich)

o An extensive collection of resources

* Internet Caching Resource Center (Internet Research Group)

o "Evaluating caching products means matching your needs with the right type of product that supports the right features. A cache that supports a remote office LAN will differ markedly from a cache that supports millions of users on the Internet."

* Internet Traffic Report (Andover.Net. )

o The Internet Traffic Report monitors the flow of data around the world

* Resource Links (MSP Association )

o Management Service Provider companies (MSPs) deliver system and network management services to IT departments and other customers who manage their own technology assets.

* Search Tools for Web Sites, Intranets and Portals (Search Tools Consulting )

o This site provides information, news and advice about web site searching technology

* searchWebManagement.com (TechTarget.com)

o Web Management Specific Search Engine

* Site Management Resources (CIO Communications, Inc.)

* StatMarket - accurate internet statistics and user trends in real time (WebSideStory, Inc)

* W3C Security Resources (w3.org)

o Web security is a complex topic, encompassing computer system security, network security, authentication services, message validation, personal privacy issues, and cryptography. This page contains links to various aspects of Web and Internet security.

* Web Building (CNET.com )

o Includes Authoring & Site Design, Graphics and Multimedia, Programming & Scripting, Back End & Site Management; and E-business & Strategy

* Web Caching and Content Delivery Resources ( Brian D. Davison)

o "This site is dedicated to providing a comprehensive guide to the resources about and in support of caching on the World Wide Web"

* Web Caching and Content Distribution Resources (Brian D. Davison)

o "This web site is slowly evolving into a central repository of information about web caching. It grew out of my research interests in web caching, namely web prefetching and cache evaluation. As with most successful projects, this web site is built on the shoulders of giants who placed their links of useful web caching resources online. In particular, Duane Wessel's mammoth work on producing the Information Resource Caching FAQ served as a strong starting point."

* Web Distribution Systems : Caching and Replication (Nikhil Chandhok)

o This document gives an overview of the current caching and replication terminology. It describes the current protocols and is a starting point for anyone interested in the subject. It starts by describing various caching and replication systems and then moves onto a brief description of most of the relevant protocols. It finishes by giving a brief product description of some of the products available in the market.

* The Web Robots Database

* The Web Robots Pages (Martijn Koster)

o Web Robots are programs that traverse the Web automatically. Some people call them Web Wanderers, Crawlers, or Spiders. These pages have further information about these Web Robots.

* Web Security Links (Web Developer)

* Web Site Test Tools and Site Management Tools (Rick Hower)

o This covers Load and Performance Test Tools, Java Test Tools, Link Checkers, HTML Validators, Free On-the-Web HTML Validators and Link Checkers, PERL and C Programs for Validating and Checking, Web Functional/Regression Test Tools, Web Site Security Test Tools, External Site Monitoring Services, Web Site Management Tools and Log Analysis Tools

* Web Tools Review (Philip Greenspun)

o Includes interesting sections on web databases, as well as server and production matters

* SEE also Related Topics

Notice from BuffaloHELP:

This post has been brought to you by

Posted Image

Mmm, mmm! Sliced and diced as SPAM-tastic!

Hi!I think you've created a nice site! It's very clearly arranged, the colors are OK (some webpages have really bothering solors....), the navigation is clear. Perhaps you could add some more contents? The link section is great, but the other parts seem to be a little empty... Perhaps you could also design a logo for your page and add a visitor counter? You could also add a forum to make discussions between miniature railway fans can discuss.But altogether I like your page!Greets, Chris