xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
goldinero

Has Anyone Tried Skype Voip Service?

i use it, and it works well. just when you do conferences, only up to 4 people i think. good thing is that if you have a crappy mike, it cleans static pretty well.

i use it, and it works well. just when you do conferences, only up to 4 people i think. good thing is that if you have a crappy mike, it cleans static pretty well.

191425[/snapback]

Can you use it to call landlines for free? I'd like to know. Also, I heard that Google was talking about implementing support for Skype within Google Talk. Is that true?

191425[/snapback]

I guess I'll have to sign up, dust off my headset, and give it a shot. Thanks!

i use skype all the time it is a great program if you want to talkfor free ovet the net. me and my clan use it to have a confrence over important topica and also when playing games. It is definatally wirth the free you pay for it. Best service out there.

I think skype is a good program for VOIP and I use it occasionally. The quality is good and the skype out prices are realtively cheap. I would use it more often but I think it uses more memory than it should for a VOIP program and it starts to slow down my computer when I'm connected to a conference of four people. There are better alternatives in my opinion.

eBay recently acquired Skype and is adding to their list of features for ebay users sop buyers and sellers can communicate more easily with each other. I do some selling on eBay and apparently we'll find out soon what exactly eBay is offering....and how much it's going to cost us!

Can you use it to call landlines for free? I'd like to know. Also, I heard that Google was talking about implementing support for Skype within Google Talk. Is that true?

191518[/snapback]

Skype is able to call landlines, or fixed-lines, but for a fee. You need to subscribe to them in order to call from a computer to a fixed-line or a computer to a mobile phone.

Skype is only free for calling PC-to-PC, with multiple users connected together in a conference and excellent for its voice and bandwidth quality. Skype has a additional add-on, created by its fans, to enable video conferencing, for free.

Google Talk is going quite the same way as Skype. Not much of a difference rather. Just how you trust their products. No add-on for video conferencing yet, but it might be soon, for sure.

I am not that interested in Skype. First of all, quite a lot of functions are reserved for paid users only, including calling a party on the conventional phone line. This is quite inconvenient. The rates that it is offering to call overseas are not attractive too. In Hong Kong, one of the ISPs actually provides Skype as a package, but it costs more than US$14 a month for the additional Skype thing, which is not competitive at all. There is another ISP providing similar VoIP service, and it costs only around US$6 a month, including overseas call. All VoIP systems in Hong Kong suffer from lagging. Probably it is to do with the high the ping time then the transfer rate. Many conventional IDD lines are now transparent VoIP, but it may take some time before the traditional lines deteriorate that much to match the quality of VoIP service.

I dont know if your talking about vent/teamspeak and other stuff, if so. I suggest if you want something free, go to ventrilo and you can host a 8 person server. If you go searching on the net, you can probably find a older one that supports about 20.