xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
kservice

Advantages Or Disadv.of The Xps Gen 2 Wanted...

Hi! Im considering to buy the Dell Precision M70 2Ghz with 1024 RAM and 60GB 7200 RPM...How do you guys like this model?And how would my configuration be for the games of today?I want a good laptop for university that will last a few years. Good choice?Comparison to the newest XPS lappy?kservice

My brother have it (M70 2.13GHz 1GB upgraded to 2GB, 60GB 7200rpm) but I've not done anything testing on it yet except benchmarks. Without overclocking the 3DMark05 was around 2,700. A lot of people report much higher (3,500 plus) with overclocking.The only negative points I would have is that the key travel is a little shallow (probably a matter of personal taste) and it does get warm underneath which can be an issue if you use it on your lap and hope to have children at a future date (I'm not bothered as I've already got 3 )On the plus side it is small enough to be portable, has a good screen (no dead pixels but a little light leakage) and is solidly constructed.andrescasta

So how would this computer compare to the XPS Gen 2?Heard the video card in the XPS Gen 2 would be a lot better for games etc..?Everything else comparable?And how would it compare to the Ferrari 4005?Thxkservice

If you want extreme performance like 1600x1200 or more get the XPS Gen 2. The M70 will basically give you the same gaming performance as the 9300. The video card in the Ferrari is ATI's version of the Nvidia 6600 Go, which will allow you to get decent framerates. For you, I think the best laptops would be either the 9300 or the M70.The Ferrari is also good,but the graphics cards in both 9300 and M70 will outperform the X700 in the Ferrari. Hope this helps.andrescasta

But then again I heard the XPS 2 is their top of the line system?So this would outperform the M70 right? The only really graphic intensive "work" I do is playing games... BF2, HL2 etc...And I do want this laptop to last for a while... Also I liked the looks of the XPS a bit better than the M70...So not considering the price and size is there any other good reason why to choose the M70 over the XPS2?kservice

Yes, the XPS2 is their top of the line system. However I can't really call it a laptop since it is not designed to be used on your lap. And forget about battery life, the thing has completely useless lights and LEDs everywhere!. If your looking for a gaming system than it will be the best choice, expensive at that.