xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
adriantc

Nvidia And It's No Good Firewall... made me a lot of problems :(

I posted a few days ago a thread with a bad title and it got deleted (rightfully) and I got warned. Well that thread was about a problem I had with my new computer (some of you who visit this forum a lot know my problem with the old video card). When I tryed to download something from the net 90% of the times it got corrupted somehow. At first I thought it must be from the windows, thats why i posted in windows bugs, but as it turned out to be it was my new nvidia firewall.Of course whenm I have bought the motherboard I made my decision based on many things. Specially the price, but also I thought that since I won't upgrade this computer for a long time i should choose the best motherboard with as meny new technologies as possible. So that's what I did... nvidia nforce4 ultra with nvidia active armor hardware firewall. At least that is what is written on the paper. In fact that is not a hardware firewall at all... well it is a hardware firewall but it needs a special software firewall to work and that firewall comes from nvidia with the nforce drivers. So you probably are wondering what was happening... it's simple... the so called firewall stoped (almoust) everything. I mean it showed that the download was completed but in fact it wasn't even half of what it should be, so when i tried to install the program it gave me a file corrupted warning.After finding out that the firewall is to blame i searched the net for someone with simiar problems and I had the surprise to find out that i am not the only one with this kind of problems. I also had the surprise to find out that the problem is very very old (i found january posts). You would think that by september nvidia would have fixed the problems but as you see it hasn't.Now here is the real question. Since the firewall is not hardware (not in full at least) and more the point it doesn't do its job shouldn't nvidia warn it's clients about the malfunctioning firewall so others won't have the same problem. Not to mention that you pay for something you don't enjoy...

Wow... that's really dumb, and I can't believe they haven't fixed it. Everything I've ever bought from NVidia has been great, but... well, I guess at least I know to not buy this motherboard. Sorry you had so many problems with it though, I mean man that sucks. ^_^

Hi , I am using nVidia 650i Ultra motherboard, and it doesn't have any problems you mention even though its running the same firewall you mention. Try posting a HiJack This Log and I'll try to see. btw I know nVidia firewall is crappy, but it doesn't fail all the time and there are ways to disable it and even work arounds.I've just had one problem with this firewall - utorrent doesn't support this, other wise I am happy with my rig ^_^