xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
kvarnerexpress

Array Size Limitations

I'm writing a win32 console app and am about to implement an array of size 10,000,000 . Can someone tell me what this would do ? Would my memory be able to handle it or would it cause other variables to lose their value ? I may just end up writing the array to a text file and then just searching it when I need it but I would rather not if I didn't need to. Can someone tell me what the limit is ?kvarnerexpress

I think first, it would help to know the data type of the values in your array, but in any case, I don't think it matters as long as your hardware can support such extreme sizes (in other words, do you have enough RAM?)..On an off-note, why are you using such large arrays? Wouldn't it be possible to seperate your data logically into several smaller chunks first, so as to work with smaller arrays?

The thing is not about his RAM but the customers RAM.Not everyone can afford 1Gb of RAM just to be able to run a specific program.That size of an array is heavily not recommended because it may eat all of your RAM and process time so your computer may hang-up.Why do you need 10,000,000 anyway? Is a field of 10,000,000 elements even possible? What are you trying to do? Tell us a little bit more.