xisto Community
spawn_syxx9

Computer Optimizers which ones do you use?

I have downloaded probably 3 computer optmizer demos and they all always offer to find the problems with my registry but they never trulydo anything to really boast the performance of my computer. Which ones do you people use?

Ones that don't install dare or spyware onto my computer. Also i use 2 to3 and see what each on comes up with. I gave up long ago on this, no need really.

hi there! i would think that u can tune up your system by yourself...all you have to do is to read through your systemmanagement (systemconfiguration under the start-menu)...or try linux and it will run to its best ^^here are some tipps, how to tune up your system. dont try to find some tipps over some searchmechanism like google or altavista, yahoo or else cause 99,9 percent of them doesen't take effect...try to make the swap-file a litte bit smaller (about 150 - 500 mb for 512 mb ram) because ram is much faster than the harddisc, or try to disable the visual effects. theese two thinks will speed up your pc (assumate that you have a pc with 512 mb ram, a cpu running with 'bout 2ghz and a standard-graphigsadapter on agp) for 15-30 %...if u have questions, u can PM me ^^mfg maxx

Every Optimizer That I've tried hog resources on my computer. It's best not to use any and disable visual effect. If you use win98 on a quite new (about 2Gz) then consider an upgrade to XP since it's much more stablier(If you want stability). The best way to tune performance is always buying better Hardware

optimizng system manually though regedit is ok IMO.because some optimizer take more system resource and remain too many usefulless task in memory usually which lead to much trouble later. :P

I have downloaded probably 3 computer optmizer demos and they all always offer to find the problems with my registry but they never trulydo anything to really boast the performance of my computer. Which ones do you people use?

186426[/snapback]

First thing what i gonna say is that all those regcleaners of that kind of stuff are just a piece of crab! But TuneUp Utilities is a different program. it really does clean your regstery and you could optimize uoyr RAM memory and use of paging file. Try that!

well the one utility that i do use RAM DEF XT actually frees up the ram just to give it a little boost, but if you do it enough times you have like a ton of ram to use at your exposesal, it also lets you know when the ram is getting low as well.I been using it for awhile now and hasn't really given me any problems.But yeah those reg cleaners suck bad, i didn't see anything good come out of them but will try that TuneUp (downloading it right now).

For a long time used Fix it utilities and was very pleased with quality and performance of that tool. But I would also suggest that using all those utilities is not so reliable as using your own hands to delete, fix and clear files and registry items, unless you have really bad hands :P

kazzu hit the spot with the Tuneup utilities that work out wonderful i had like 644 errors in my registries and that was fix, the lagging that i also have has stopped too!!!!

'computer optimisers'? Someones problably trying to sell you a crock full of brown goo. (or snake oil, if you prefer that term.)Step one : Spybot S&D. Removes much nastiness in the form of spyware, malware, nasty cookies, nasty registry entries, an the like. This one's free.Step two : decent antivirus. NOD32 is a good one, and it sure don't cost as much as Norton.Step three : claer out the registry. You can partially do this by hand, but it's not really recommended (you'll only scrape the surface, as you can only recognise the keys with plain-english names. Most have names that look like MD5 hashes.) Registry Mechanic works good, though it's pay-for software.Step four : Look at what you have installed. Look in your system tray, your Program Files, and ask yourself : 'Do I Actually Use That Thing?' Any program that fails this test gets nailed.Step five : Profit!!!Well seriously, that's all I have to do to keep my boxen airborne. Reformatting every so often (every year or so) helps, because desipte your best efforts bad stuff will creep in slowly, and a reformat (or some serious bit-twiddling) is the only to get rid of it, and often the only way to fix up a really bad computer is to reformat it (or spend 5x the times fixing manually ).

Since this topic has been brought back fro mthe dead I thought I would give a little update as to what I use now. I use a combination of glary utilities, CCleaner, Defraggler, McAfee Security Suite cleaning toos to help clean up my system now and so far this combination has worked great. Especially after a few months of installing/uninstalling programs, deleting old files, cleaning up the registry and cleaning out caches. With the Mcafee exception I would grab a copy of those programs to help clean up your computer and make it run more efficiently.