xisto Community
shadowdemon

Anyone Know Any Good Sites To Learn Php

I'm not exactly an expert on PHP, but I know a thing or two. Although I have attempted to write at least one tutorial myself, that's not the way I learnt it. I learnt it by setting up PHP and Apache on a box and fiddling with it until I got it right, using the PHP manual for reference. Whether or not that slowed down the rate at which I picked the language up I don't know, but I'm pretty confident with it now.

w3Schools is teh awfulness. I mean it. Personally, when i'm paying for dialup internet by the minute, i'd like what i'm pulling to be at least 30% actual content - but a typical w3schools page has about four times as much ads and table-layout markup than actual content. Blerch. Additionally, most of their stuff is out-of-date, and they should check their 'xhtml compliance since 1999' against a validator sometime.Practical PHP Programming, hudzilla.org/phpbook, is teh bomb and you should read it from start to at least nine or ten chapters in (the database chapter is a compulsory read.) One text-ad per page glorifying the authors other work, but seeing as it's an entire book - free - i guess he can put a personal ad on if he wants to. If you know how, you can write a spot of PHP to take care of that kind of thing using my perennial favourite, preg_replace().Ah, PCREs, how I love thee. (Yes, spectre, i DO have an obsession with regexps. You can use them to do everything - even slice bread! All you have to do is replace the atoms in the bread with nothingness at regular intervals.....)For learning mySQL, the database chapter in Practical PHP covers that very well - Hudson even explains normalising tables, which is somewhat complicated sometimes - but apart from that, I also have a printout of chapter three of the mySQL documentation, which is a rather concise crash-course in SQL syntax 'n' all that other good stuff.

OK, try P2L for some tutorials. Often you can pick up some useful code from looking at other peoples work, its a great way to learn.

If you are really interested in learning then I would suggest going out and buying a book, such as one of the For Dummies series. They're easy to understand and give lots of examples, and still explain everything you need to know. Sometimes you can also get a CD with loads of example scripts on it.

One thing you might want to try - unless you HAVE to use the web - is to get the PHP Visual quickstart guide from Amazon.com

I used this book to teach myself PHP and it is an awesome book
- It gives tons of exampls
- It uses real code
- It is easy to read
- Good formatting
- Meant to be read while in front of Dreamweaver
- Not boring and useless like the other books out there

Plus its nice to be able to look at a book and save the pages and stuff without having to keep swapping windows on the screen to look at code.

Here is the link in Amazon. CLICK HERE

Of course - everybody would see the learning issue different way.The best (but not so easy) way is to install webserver, PHP and MySQL, buy few good books, buy php book with command, visit php script library sites, download few scripts, install them on the localsite, run them, make changes, view what any change do to the result pages. Not an easy way to create php script from the start. And, of course Internet is full of examples. No need to create new, cause there is incredible probability it already exists. Everybody just have to change it for own use.Yes, there is possibility to learn to script in PHP in 10 minutes, if one considers "Hello world!" as script. Well, of course it is script....

To install and configure php with apache on windows you could look at this guide:
https://www.thesitewizard.com/archive/php4install.shtml

For tutorials you could try:
http://www.phpbuilder.com/

for coding examples/scripts:
http://imptestrm.com/rg-erdr.php?_dnm=www.scriptswave.com&_cfrg=1&_drid=as-drid-2348283779057022

for help forums and more coding examples:
http://forums.devnetwork.net/

Ever read any of the "unleashed" series? I have one on flash, and one on php. They are the most usefull books i have ever bought... they are sorta pricey if you buy them off the shelf tho... You can get them at amazon:

Flash unleashed

PHP