xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
kservice

Reformating Issue With Xp

Hi there I hope someone be able to help me I am currently on our spare old computer at the moment and boys its very slow, but my other computer got itself a worm of some kind where all my ram is taken away and I cant open anything and when I try to run the virus protector it wont let me even in safe mode.Anyway best thing to do is to wipe the whole computer lucky I could save everything I wanted to problem is having a bit of issue reformating.I have xp home edition sp 2, I have the xp cd with me, I found a great webiste saying howto reformat with windows xp cd but problem is my BIOS does not reckonise my cd driver.I go in there and only gives me the option to choose the HD or the Floppy drive how do I make it notice I do have a D drive which is my CD rom.Any help would be great as I have no idea and I am still learning.Cheers

Go to [bootdisk.com and DL the Windows 98 or Windows ME bootdisk (or WinXP bootdisk) and make a bootable floppy disk.. then insert it and restart your computer.. Once your PC starts from the bootdisk, you can select an option to start the computer with CD Rom support, and then from there you can use Format, FDisk, etc..

Once you have formatted, boot onto the floppy again, start PC with CD Rom Support and start the setup process from your CD Rom..

I hope that helps!

If you are using Windows XP, chances are the filesystem is NTFS - and Windows 9x/ME DOS won't recognise it. You will have to clear the partition with FDISK first, create a FAT32 partition, and then format it.

But I wouldn't recommend doing this unless you know what you're doing. Besides, it should be possible to start Windows XP setup from a bootable floppy disk with CD-ROM support without needing to format your HDD beforehand.

What BIOS have you got? It might be worth sniffing around the manufacturer's website for any updates they may have released, or for information on booting from the CD.

My advice !unfold a Computer and take out battery and wait 10 min.Hereupon let go battery i unfold a Computer.Hereupon lay down Cd Xp professional SP2. and on is easyHappily !! :P