xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
psychiccyberfreak

What Is The Best Free Os

For a few seconds I was a really really happy person because Ive been wanting to try out the linspire distribution so I read on until I got to the part where it said it expires in september 6!!!! I kept on reading and it said that they would extend it for a couple of days so I hurried up to the download section of the Linspire page and it said that the coupon expired on September 8.  :ph34r:  Guess Ill have to wait a while for a coupon like this to come up again.

183982[/snapback]

That is a sad story Flakes, it also happened to me! hehe, nevertheless we have other linux distibutions. Truth is im sick of pc, so i will be turning back to my good old typwritter:D

Tell me again what the point is of having another OS if all your doing with it is to check emails and stuff? Windows does that just fine and if it's all the ebil Microsoft gizmoes that you don't want to use then just install another internet browser and email client. Why you could even skin windows so it looks nothing like windows, but that usually causes things to load up slowly anyway.

I wanted to know what the best free os out there was. I would like it to be lighteight, sence I allredy have windows, and I'm uisng this for other things like checking e-mail. Something that boots up quick. Any suggestions?

183126[/snapback]

Windows XP Professional

itaim...thats not free. get something related to linux. there are a lot of light distributions...DSL (Damn Small Linux) is only like 60 megs or so. that's pretty much instant bootup. or else get yourself an empty slackware installation. there's nothing you cant do with linux, and you can always get a bigger distribution and remove all the packages.

I recommend Slax, which is a scaled down version of Slackware Linux. It is relatively small (less than 180 MB), has the KDE user interface and most the stuff you need to run a decent desktop system. Plus, since it is a "live-CD," you can load it on any computer without having to install it to the harddrive. Oh, and it is modular so you can add to it by downloading modules from the Slax website (above) that install from floppy or USB drive during boot.

Ever heard of heyos? Very simple, very basic os designing software. Its free! Unfortunatly you can't have any GUI in your os :P but, its great if you want your computer to do some function, without designating a program. Example, if you own a store, and you want to have all the computers access a database, but not let the database be a program, just show up when the computer loads. It's great. I downloaded it some years ago and cant seem to find it right now to give you a link, but see if you can find it. :huh:

I wanted to know what the best free os out there was. I would like it to be lighteight, sence I allredy have windows, and I'm uisng this for other things like checking e-mail. Something that boots up quick. Any suggestions?

183126[/snapback]

the best opperating system for a server is red hat linux because it is free or you can use windows server 2003 even tho its not free its still good

for a home computer i would recomend linux because a its powerfull and b its fast there are loads of linux opperating systems for you there are about 0 of them for different purposses

so just chose what u want to use

i've read the thread quickly and hope don't double another post but i would reccomend to gat a look on http://distrowatch.com/ where distros are listed ,reviewed and statisticizided(wow,hope you understand,hehe)and where you can learn very much about linux.Yes it's the best free OS out there but count in the BSDs and now OpenSolaris.As a server i would look very deep over FreeBSD(personal chioce-read some reviews)and as a desktop on distrowatch they're pointing it very simple on
http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major
Cheers! -and a good thing you've set your mind at least to try linux;

A warez version of Win2k is the best (windows XP without fancy effects and Product Activation). I was using one awhile ago before my HD died and I lost the Bootleg install CD. Now I run an official version of WinXP Home so I'm all legal now (PLZ DON'T BAN ME!!!).

best free os like windowsWhat Is The Best Free Os

Try REACTOS its like win2000, super fast instal and only 30mb dl. Comes in live cd, and vmware additions as well if you like windows use it its free and legal. 32bit only

-reply by tbl82