xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Avalon

Not Showing My Email Address but sometimes it does.

In my forum control panel I selected the option to hide my email address from other members. However, I have noticed that in all hosting requests, upgrades etc my email is there for everyone to see. This of course is the same for everyone requesting hosting.

I understand it is necessary for the admins to see the email addresses to process the applications, but perhaps you could make it so only moderators and admins can see these posts? That way those of us that want to keep our email addresses hidden are not 'exposed' as such.

I doesn't bother me that much that my email address is viewable, it's just a thought for those that are really bothered by it.

Notice from cmatcmextra:
Moving to Suggestions forum
Edited by cmatcmextra (see edit history)

I believe it's because you're looking at your own profile. I think the system goes by IP Address. If it recognizes an Admin IP or a Mod IP it'll show the info, if not, no good. I'm not sure though, this is just my thoughts. Maybe someone else who knows a bit more about this can help you.

it seem reasonable but the only problem is that no one would be able to request accounts since you have to lock it to mods and admins only maybe request in your account to have your email account removed from the request after your hosting has been approved.

I believe it's because you're looking at your own profile. I think the system goes by IP Address. If it recognizes an Admin IP or a Mod IP it'll show the info, if not, no good. I'm not sure though, this is just my thoughts. Maybe someone else who knows a bit more about this can help you.

181793[/snapback]

I thought this might be the case too, but I can see other people's email address in their hosting requests. So this means everyone can see them.

181793[/snapback]

Actually everyone can see you email address, i know this because when i went to request hosting i first looked at a post of someone requesting hosting and i did see their email address. Its not just mods and admin who can see the info its everyone, maybe even the guests im not sure.

well knowing the members here they have several email accounts a good suggestion would be use a email that you really don't use to get your hosting account.but with the ip though the ip number is used to track the user account and not email addresses, so when they decide to do something wrong the admin cuz block their ip number entering the site.

well knowing the members here they have several email accounts a good suggestion would be use a email that you really don't use to get your hosting account.

but with the ip though the ip number is used to track the user account and not email addresses, so when they decide to do something wrong the admin cuz block their ip number entering the site.

181806[/snapback]

when you apply for free hosting, you can see everyone's email address... I think the application form should be invisible for any browser but administrator. I trust you so I give you my mail address, but you let it expose to the spam attack?! It is not acceptable... please do something.