xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
cse-icons

Google Desktop Beta (version 2)

Google has released the new version of its Google Desktop Search.
It now not only keeps track of the files and email on your system but does a host of other things:

1. News
2. Web Clips
3. Scratch Pad
4. Weather
5. Photos
6. Stocks
7. Email
8. Quick View

It would keep track of ur browsing habits and can collate the headlines from the sites that you frequent and display in the News tab. All this without you putting in any configuration effort. You need not know anything about the RSS feeds or ATOM feeds, it configures all the required feeds by itself.
The scratchpad is another useful tool. The weather, photos, stocks are added features...

Would always expect google to stay ahead of the competition...
waiting for google to integrate all the services... head google talk is also out...
there u go Google...

For screenshots of the new desktop:
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Download it at:
http://desktop.google.com/

Cheers.

I have now tried it out for a while.. I loved the new features.

One thing it has a whole sidebar...

It shows updated news, stock quotes, etc...

Another feature is that it shows search results as u type in the search text.. so no need to press enter or wait.. u can refine the search as u type so that u weed out unwanted files by type or folder or whatever...

It allows u to check gmail(not tried this feature coz.. I do not like my emails and some personal files to be indexed...

There are lots of plugins available too.. like the system monitor, a todo list maker... diskviewer.. and many more...

you will find the plugins at:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Cheers.

I must say it is a very big improvement over the original, obviously that is down to the sidebar, what with it being pretty much the only new feature. But what a feature it is. I mean lets face it it could potentially do anything. I'm not to sure why they have suddenly decided to change it so drastically, but my best guess is that its to counter yahoo!'s purchase of Konfabulator, as I really don't think Microsoft have a product like this. But anyway back to the topic at hand I would greatly recommend this product to everyone, as it has all the cool features (well ok feature) of the first release (the Desktop searching btw) aswell as a news and email organiser type thing, that lets you also check out the weather. If that doesn't make any sense just download it and see for yourself.

It's a very useful program this Google Desktop. The new version comes with a lot of new features. Also Google Talk that appeared a few days ago was a pleasant surprise from Google Staff. I'm really curious what's the next step. Maybe some Gmail Final (not beta anymore)? Because they have Gmail in beta version for more than 1 year. And they are offering about 2,5GB right now.Google is the best. I think they should start a free or paid hosting service too. I'm really curious about their offer then. There will be no rival left. Not even Yahoo.