xisto Community
Nue1

Window Media Player Or Winamp? Which one you like?

I have both installed, I use Windows Media Player for both my music and videos. Reason being, i find Winamp takes to long to load up, and when it is loaded up, i find it slows down my computer. if your wondering why i have Winamp installed, its because i use winamp for online streams (Football etc).

Windows Media Player is ok, but comes with Windows and so loads of people use it. There were law suites in USA about making Windows Media Player not come with WIndows. This would give competitors more of a chance. Windows Media Player is ok.

Winamp is pretty good, some people would say it is much better than Windows Media Player.

There are loads of media programs around that are better than both Windows Media Player and Winamp.

Foobar 2000 is a free open source media player for Windows. Sure it is not good at all when it comes to graphics, but it can play loads of media files.

http://www.foobar2000.org/

Realplayer is pretty good.

I don't like either. Haven't upgraded to mac os x so both aren't really working for me right now. Tried to listen into air america and my old version of media player, and real player don't work. It's kinda of a pain because there's no way to get a feed going at home. round

I agree with most of you, winamp for music and windows media for video. Though i like winamp the most, as you can watch video in winamp too... And as i have a lot of music, i usually store all of it in one only winamp list, (i load it all once) and then i click on shuffle and i start listening to random bands. Windows media i generally use it for radio, although i just listen to one or two stations, i dont usually do that, becouse theres never the kind of music i like in radio, some times the stations playin are actually harder to find, or i just havent dig well enough.I dislike wmp, its really slower, a lot, and its not as personalizable as winamp. Well its not that i hate it, couse its useful sometimes, but i go rather for nullsoft winamp. I used to run v2 but there it said that later versions had fixed some security bugs so i upgraded to v5. I dont use plug ins anymore, just skins in some machines.

first time we opened WMP it will conquer most of desktop area, whilst WinAmp only took a portion of it.That's why I thought WinAmp is better. Anyway, in functionality I don't really think much of it because I used them both for listening music.

I know it's been said before (by other people) but I guess it just lends to the truth; I use Windows Media Player for videos and Winamp for audio.Winamp has an arguably better playlist and a much better equalizer with highly functional presets. An example is the preset for Headphones/Laptop speakers, it greatly improves the sound quality/clarity.The one thing Winamp has against it are the memory leaks...

Edited by Renaissance (see edit history)

well, i must say that winamp is my favorite! There are several reasons...First I think it is esteticaly speaking a lot more beautiful than Windows Media Player (WMP). Than I think it works faster evethough it is not directly implemented in windows. If you have a slow computer than winamp should be your choice without any fancy skins or stuff like that. It also takes less ram and eats less disk space. It also has many more plug-ins and other adds than WMP and the most important thing is it is A LOT more simple to use. Than there is media library and internet radio. I think that winamp offers wider and better range of internet radios than WMP, although i don't really know how good WMP's are :P
All in all....I LIKE WINAMP!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D

man you just have said my words! winamp is my absolute favorite. :P i dont like windows media players. for me its a crap. i dont like the interface of windows media player. winamp is cool. its a good looking player with lots of good skins and i really like the sound quality. i have few plugins which does the fancy editing for me and i like the surround sound system that i make with those plug ins. for slower pc's (like my p3, its always better if you use older versions. well 5.3 is still okay but sometimes it slows down the computer. but you know nothing compares with good sound.

I think it was the fact that it was back in the day when winamp was first coming out I didn't get a good grasp of how to use it, but for my needs WMP was good enough, of couse I use other programs to watch movies, such as interactual and cineplayer (when I need to). I did like to listen to the radio on WMP though back when I was in Washington while killing time at the office, I picked up a lot if techno radio stations and junk. Now I don't listen to much radio to begin with except for Sports radio and stuff, did have a classic rock binge last year but thats about it though.

Edited by Saint_Michael (see edit history)

Vidoes are a pain in winamp, but i think winamp was oringally for audio, so they focus on that a lot more. Windows media player just tries to everything, so one area has to fail. I actually use DivX and Realplayer for video, i dont use windows media player at all. So i prefer Winamp.