xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
fsoftball

Free Image Editing Software need free software to edit some buttons

Hi,

A freind of mine has given me a bunch og .gif images. They have text in them (they're being used for buttons) that I'd like to change. Does anyone know of a good, free program for doing this?

Thanks,

Jim

Notice from cmatcmextra:
Please add a topic description in your next topic. Topic title edited and description added.
Edited by cmatcmextra (see edit history)

The GIMP is probably the first one I can think of. Maybe, the only one - I dunno, I've never used any of them. If you want, you can get a 30-day trial of Photoshop CS (or CS 2) or Fireworks MX from their respective websites. But I've heard GIMP is good.

Hmm...I don't know about this one. If the images were editable (if they were .psd), then you could do it, but since they're .gif, it would be hard to edit without ruining the background.

It stands for Photoshop Document, and it saves the document in its original layers instead of merging them (which is why jpg's aren't editable without demolishing the image). Therefore, it's an editable format because you can still seperate layers and do what you want to them.

Ok i would recommend the Gimp for a free image editing software. It is just as powerful as photoshop but does a few things differently. Also, even though their is text in the image that is a gif, you still would be able to edit it but i would be much more difficult. IF you do not know how to edit images fairly well, your result will not look good. I am just warning you and also maybe iterating the fact that that best website images are ones you personally create. There are tons of tutorials out their to help you learn these programs and create your own images.

I would recommend you gimp. It is really good and you can find some good tutorials under gimp.org

Among my suggestions for free image editing software include the GIMP (in my opinion, the best choice) and Serif PhotoPlus 5.5 I'm not sure if the latter is still available now, but before I got a hold of the GIMP and Fireworks, I used the Serif program on a regular basis to keep and edit my pics. Another good program to try is ImageForge.