xisto Community
katagirl3000

body worlds dead body museum

Has anybody been to body worlds? There some in europe and for the first time they have one in the us in los angeles California. I just want to know what the experience is like because I'm hoping that my boyfriend will take me there soon. For those of you that don't know what it is, it's a museum in California that exhibit real dead bodies on display. The dead bodies were all donated by the people themselves. here's a quote that I read in the newspaper

"A pregnant woman lies on her side with a hand behind her head as if posing for a nude photograph. But her dead body isn't the only thing exposed. Her heart, intestines and 8-month-old fetus are visible as well.

The woman was one of more than 200 people who donated their cadavers for use in "Body Worlds: The Anatomical Exhibition of Real Human Bodies," which makes its U.S. debut Friday at the California Science Center. "

here's the link if you all wanna know more about it.

http://www.koerperwelten.de/

Holy crap! :) ...is that legal? if so...how!? I mean...what about their families? Wouldnt the bodies be decayed after awhile, or are they kept in air tight rooms or something to prevent decomposition? That's truly creepy, although at the same time...quite fascinating. :)

It is legal. . it's been going on in europe an asia for years but it just finally started here. lots of people even bring their kids (kids have to be 13 to go) It's pretty cool. i'm excited to go. One little girl thought it was fake and then started crying when her parents told her it was real:P

I have seen it on the tv and it looks really coolThere was also the dead disected body of horse with front legs raised with another dead dude on it.Personally I think its genius even though i'm not sadistic minded or anything like that so i think you shouldit would be a unique expierience to say the least

everyone that i have read about or talked to about it said that it was a real eye-opener and a really good experience. the only negative comments a person hears is from a person that has never seen it before and just is against it because it makes them feel uncomfortable. they don't even give it a chance.

hmm that's really something. It's like present-day mummification but they use polymer instead of resin and sodium carbonate. Here's a quick link to their Plastination section. http://www.koerperwelten.de/

I think this is an excellent example of the post-modern world we live in. Whereas preservation used to be something spiritual and done as a sign of respect, now it is done for science and to some it is seen as disrespectful because the bodies are left "exposed." I can't help but wonder if this post-modern response is empathy for the dead or fear of the progressive nature of science (ie a horror response to seeing dead bodies in a museum because, "Someday I'll be dead and I hope that doesn't happen to me"), because it is in the present collective consciousness to contain and otherwise categorize everything, especially intangable items like death and spirit. No, I take that back, it's not fear of science; it's categorization of death through visual confirmation of it. Viewing death, I suppose in some way, removes the fear and "unknown" of it.

I think people are afraid because if they see a dead body like that, they're going to realize that we're no different than animals. When we die, we're just meat. I mean the last time most people see dead bodies is at a funeral, but the corpse still has a character. at these museums, the person is just a piece of art. well i take that back the corpse (not a person) is just a piece of art. nobody wants to see a person being less than a person because that makes them feel less special.

When you first hear about it, it sounds kind of gross and disgusting but actually I think it's quite interesting to see what our bodies look like, althought I wouldn't want my body to be exposed like that <_<

Sounds like a horror show to me. I don't think I'll be able to take it, will probably have nightmares or something afterwards, but there's nothing like that in the U.S. so I guess there's no chance anyway.

Sounds like a horror show to me.  I don't think I'll be able to take it, will probably have nightmares or something afterwards, but there's nothing like that in the U.S. so I guess there's no chance anyway.

i think you didn't read my post correctly cloud. my point was, that it's finally in the us.

Holy crap!  :( ...is that legal? if so...how!? I mean...what about their families? Wouldnt the bodies be decayed after awhile, or are they kept in air tight rooms or something to prevent decomposition? That's truly creepy, although at the same time...quite fascinating.  :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think they ask the family for permision, or the family tells them to put there bodys there or they have to pay or something. any ways i would think this is Friken nasty.

well, i have heard of it too, i also have seen an report on tv and some ripley's dvd's about it, i sincerely see it quite fascinating, i think the human body is something really beautiful but at the same time is really freaking the first time i saw the note i was like O M G how can that be possible?!!? but then i continued to see the note and at the end i was like "where can i go to one?" so my conclusion: freakin' but that's art too.

Damn...weird. That'd be so cool. I'd like to take a trip there sometime to see that. Anatomy is so awesome. But yeah...weird. @_@

Body Worlds WAS AWESOME INSIGHT TO OUR BODIES!!!!body worlds

My husband and I took our two daughters to see Body Worlds yesterday.  That was quite the experience I never thought I'd get the chance to see. During my Massage Therapy schooling, we were required to have a certain amount of anatomy labs.  I didn't mind the labs as long as the body parts were intacked.  But when they took a 2 inch cross section of the thoracic (Upper Torso), it had pieces of the heart, liver, lungs, esophagus, etc that ran through that section.  It was interesting to see the cross section, but then the lab instructor decided to start poking and pushing it around, and I nearly lost my stomach.  Not to mention the smell of the formaldaihide to preserve the bodies, is the most disgusting smell.  Don't ever eat lunch and then go to anatomy labs!  However, to see the bodies on display through plastination at BodyWorlds was perfect.  You really got to examine the insides and see what they really look like without the overlying skin.  They are still every bit human and a person with or without their skin. Also to see the difference between a normal and smokers lungs and hearts.  The smokers leg was the grossest part.  For my career field, it really helps put a larger light on the subject and gives a much larger perspective.  GO SEE IT IF YOU HAVE THE CHANCE. I only wish we could have had more time.  Therefore, I bought the CD and Book combo to further inhance the experience.  IT'S A MUST SEE!/txtmngr/images/smileys/smiley14.Gif 

Best regards and best of health!

-reply by TLAfuller