xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
CkMsc9

What Is The Best Os(operating System)? Is it, Unix,Microsoft,Apple,Linux, etc.?

What is the best OS(Operating System)????  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Unfortunately I am going to have to choose M$ Windows XP by default, as its the only Operating System I have used (and I feel it would be inapropriate to choose another with out first using it), and while it does have a lot of flaws, it does (currently at the moment have the largest software support). I would like to try linux, but at the moment am using a family computer and my parents would probably die or explode or something if I dual installed them and they had to actually choose an Operating System, but when I get my own computer its linux all the way.

I dont know or think it maybe the best operating system so thats why Im going to ask if any one here has used Linspire?It is supposed to work in linux but its biggest difference is that it also runs windows programs.

i think solaris is the best os in the whole . world cause its more secure than "windows" and more powerful than unix. but if u want to play games and do not work with your computer i would say u should use windows...

4 gamers:

there's a way to get a linux-firewall in your windows-system...

go and get a virtual machine [like virtual workgroups] and install the linux-fw. "ip-cop".

the only things u need is a fast pc [min. 512 mb ram, 1,7 ghz] and 2 networkadapters...

forgott the adress of this cool programm:

http://www.vmware.com/

have fun

have phun

Notice from wassie:
Edited spelling and merged text

Edited by wassie (see edit history)

Having used both XP and OSX as main operating systems, i'll say the following :XP is actually fairly well behaved now. It doesn't SHOW you the bluescreens of death - it just restarts again without asking you and you go on like normal - but it's still crap. The file manager sucks, and it comes with crappy software (ala NetMeeting, IE, etc) and it's not exactly arrow-fast. I must say, though, considerig that they have to support every configuration of hardware in existence, it's not too bad.On the other hand, i'm loving OSX. Seriously. This mac is six years old - made in 1999 and all that - and yet it serves me as well as my windows box (though i'm missing Firearms, sob, sob). It has awesome software out of the box - itunes > WMP, mail > outlook (though thunderbird > mail), Safari, and so on. It has a terminal. The terminal isn't some crippled version of DOS. I can do sudo ls -xal | grep httpd or maybe sudo pico php.ini - two things i've been doing a lot recently - faster in the terminal than with point and click. OSX comes with python, php, apache, and other nice stuff preinstalled so n00bs like myself don't have to go insane installing stuff. .dmg > .exe installers. The filesystem isn't borked, and /Users is sure shorter than /My Documents And Settings. And you dont need to quote it....Maybe i should stop ranting now.In any case, when i get my belove-ed x86 box back, i'm going to see if i can pull Kubuntu through a dialup line (or just get a Ubuntu CD and download the KDE bits) and put that on. OSX has prepared me for *nix by not babying me every step of the way.Addendum : XP's woeful software deficiencies are thankfully easy to deal with. Personally, i use Explorer2 (http://www.zabkat.com/) to replace Explorer's file manager, and Aston (http://www.astonshell.com/) to replace the Explorer Desktop - and Fx/Opera/Thunderbird and what ever have you software to replace the rest.

Notice from wassie:
Merged posts
Edited by wassie (see edit history)

I am actually a fan Of Microsoft....Been with them for a Long time now, Before 95. I only have experienenced Apple (i.e. IMAC). I have heard positivie as well as negative responses for Linux. I have never actually seen Lunix or Unix in person. I plan to get Windows Vista when it comes out. I am very satisfied with Windows XP so in my opionion Windows Vista can only improve from XP ;)

I really think that the next best operating system is going to be Os X but for the PC. I think its a stable and good looking operating system, besides its very easy to use. Though I dont think that there is a best operating system in general. I really really think that it depends on what you need it for. Right now, I think that the best Os for servers and programming is defenitely linux, the best operating system for multimedia is mac, and the best for games is windows. Well thats what I think about the operating systems. I really think that in the next year or so, windows wont be dominating as much as it is now, because linux is coming in strong, and there is this linux that I havent tried called Linspire which is supposed to be a linux that can run windows programs. Ill check it out and see what its all about.

I use linux, Debian linux. It's a little bit unfriendly but it's so customizable. I used linux/Gentoo before, but I just can't wait for it to compile the X window system(Xorg). Windows XP is what my mom use and she will blame me if I install grub so I need to have it on a floppy. Linux is not visible to any of my family member because they don't like it! I have a lot of problem clearing virus from windows(that other use)!

convenient to be used in common live,windows could work best.if to design grafics for ads or professional studio,apple's macintosh is wonderful.linux is used in server area usually. :Pi like to use windows in usual,in additon linux as the second os.

im keeping with microsoft... because the interfase is userfriendly.. do you get what i mean? urm... the apple interface maybe a little bit simpler.. but my processor is intel...

Microsoft - Nothing can beat it most of the world is using it.If you go into a computer store all the thing they sell are compatible with Windows.

Most marketed software gets upper and it's not by all means better than open-source.I say linux is the best OS out there as it doesn't empty your pockets,doesn't invade your privacy with licences and stuff,isn't that vulnerable when comes to viruses and spy and malicious software and so on.As being user friendly it really is if you can overlook the usual crashes,blue screens and errors(they've become so usual that most people never complain any more.it's like natural for windows lol).Some linux distros have got very close to a desktop OS and some of them are really good and i would suggest a debian based one.On distrowatch the order for desktop based distros is : 1. Xandros Desktop (not free but cheap)2. MEPIS Linux (very very nice but i'm confused wich one is free anymore)3. Linspire (not really free-there is though freespire)4. PCLinuxOS (not debian but very nice-i had nice experience with it)5. Ark LinuxSuse is very friendly with it's YAST but not a debian though.I personally like kubuntu both as a server and desktop as they have a clear mission statement and will remain free .