xisto Community
arcanistherogue

What Linux Distro Do You Use?

Hey. I have started using linux early this year, and I love it. I use Ubuntu 5.04 (yeah, i know, the noob distro) but I installed KDE on it. Not exactly Kubuntu, but I think it is better like this because I have all of both the Ubuntu applications and the optional Kubuntu ones.I tried Red Hat a while ago, but got errors on bootup O-oSo, what distro does everyone use?

I'm using Slax ( http://www.slax.org/ ). It can fit on a small Mini-CD, but I downloaded it because I needed to install something on my old 1.5GB HDD in order to avoid partitioning. It has the newest version of KDE and the 2.6 kernel version. However, it does not have the "development module", which means that you cannot compile and install programs with it. Fortunately, this module is available for download and it's 90MB in size. I installed it and all of my programs were compiled flawlessly!When I get a bigger HDD, I will try out Slackware, SuSE, maybe Ubuntu and Mandrake.

Thats nifty! I'll look into slaxx. I am looking to burn as many distros as I can on discs, so I can try alot of them out and see the differences between them. When I put linux on my ipod I might even put an iso image on it (not installed, but in there for storage). It will be just like how I have Damn Small Linux on my SD card I use in my camera :Dso technically, I have linux "on" my camera :D

I use Fedora Core 4 and FreeBSD 4.11.I use Fedora as my primary operating system and WindowsXP as a workstation when I do stuff for school since everything we do, we do on Windows.FreeBSD is on my other box and it's used as a server but I like it so much that I'm thinking about moving from Fedora to BSD.I used to use FreeBSD 4.7 alot but I couldn't setup my sound card for some reason so I had to move to Linux but I don't regret it (much :D).

i am using linux for about 2 yrs now....though i have not satisfied by the performance of linux as a user friendly operating system.but i can say that the linux guys are improving at a very fast rate.....and they will make the linux OS best OS ever in next few years.i have couple of problems with linux namely linux distributions does'nt recognise my modems....even if i install the modem drivers on it it will not connect to internet for some unknown reason...and some more problems....but the distributions i tried are1.suse 9.1 personal2.fedora core 3 and 43.suse 9.3 professional4.solaris 105.mandrake 9.1, 10, 10.16.redhat 97.xandros 2 and 3 OCE8.knoppix 3.2 ,3.4,3.69.gnoppix 0.810.lispire 5.0.59and some more...somehow i feel that my distribution of choice is fedora 4 or suse 9.3 pro or mandrake 10.1now my computer has windows xp , windows 2000 and fedora 4.bye -_-

I use: Ubuntu 5.04 Guadalinex and Knoppix. All Debian based. I installed ubuntu some day and it seem pretty good and simple distro.

well i run debian on desktop and freebsd on servers. -_-i tested lots of distros (mandrake[now mandriva], slackware, redhat, fedora, suse, adamantix, xandros, knoppix, corel linux, gentus, gentoo, phat linux, kubuntu, ubuntu, mepis, openbsd, freebsd, netbsd, desktopbsd and more i think :P) but debian seems to be really good value. slackware is also a good choice... i think.cheers!

I use gentoo on my laptop and, i am sorry to say, windows on my desktop, but the other people in my household need to use the desktop so i need something VERY user friendly for that, hehe hence windows...although i dont see the problem with KDE or GNOME on gentoo if i just defaulted the boot directly into KDM which is what i do on my laptop anyway...maybe i will do that some day...

Hi, how is linspire? Is it good? Can it really run most of the windows applications?

no it CANNOT. Linspire is bad, it only charge you for free stuff. Anyways, I use SuSE Linux because it has all the configurators I use, and it's the best Linux distro for me.xboxrulz