xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
wildturk

Verizon Broadband What do you think....

Ok so i was in a chat room and overseen a comment made about this new broadband that verizon offers called fios, Well i decided to look into it and well what is this comming to with new technology and the speeds we can get for cheaper then dsl or cable and even blowing t-1 thru t-3 out the water can we say big corporate loss for some phone companies.

So ok here is the low down cable is around on average after reasearching all the us based companies i could averaging 4-5MB down and 128k-215k upside for around 39-49 a month now, get this Fios offers to packages. excuse me they updated 3 options now up to 5Mbps down and up to 2Mbps upstream 39.95 up to 15mbps and up to 2 mbps upload 49.95 there we already blow t-1 on both those packages.

ok here is the big boy of them all up to 30Mbps d/l and 5Mbps u/l 199.95 now if i am right that download speed just smokes everything up to let me make myself almost sure correct me if i am wrong but dc-3 connection for a much better value?

And here is the kicker the installation a breeze When you order Verizon Fios Internet Service, a Verizon professional will install your service on one computer for FREE. You will have the option to have additional computers set up for $75 each. But who needs to pay 75 if you know how to setup a router and or hub..... Easy enough to do.. Here is what happens the day of install yes this is copy and paste on this part only

On the date of your installation, a Verizon professional will come to your home and install Verizon Fios Internet Service. They will need access to your home computer and will perform the following:

Install wiring from the outside of your home to your computer. If

necessary, they will install any required wall jacks.

Install the Verizon home networking router and software.

Get you connected to Internet.

Migrate any voice services on the current billing account to the Verizon Fios network. There is no additional cost for this, and it will not affect your current monthly charges.

Provide a Verizon Fios Welcome Kit.

Now what is your point of view on this do you think verizon will shut down some of the leading technology people with this type of cheap and fast service?

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
Whenever you are copying and pasting, please use
tags.
Edited by BuffaloHELP (see edit history)

I was offered FIOS recently and no one from Verizon can tell me what "wall jack" it will be going through. Is it similar to the telephone jack or a special optical jack that is only compatible with FIOS? If anyone can shed some light to it, I'd appreciate it.Otherwise, the promise (and I say promise because my DSL currently goes no faster than 1Mbps when I was promised 3Mbps) seems very good. My neighborhood streets were turned up side down about 3 years ago to burry the fiber optics line that Verizon was needed to do this FIOS project. It was a mess but I suppose it was necessary. But, like I said if the special jack is involved to have FIOS in my home I'm going to hold up on modifying my house. I am currently fitting Cat-6, RG-6 and Cat-5+Cat-3 (for digital and analogue telephone) for each room and I've spent close to 2 thousand dollars in parts and labor. I hate to be incompatible with FIOS after all that work.

so for $200 you get a practical t1 line in your house, its all good and dandy but i don't need that kind of speed for what i do but im interested more in the stats that it can produce.

so for $200 you get a practical t1 line in your house,

170444[/snapback]

So I'm going to assume that they will bring in as Cat-5 or Cat-5e line in? As long as it's not some fiber optic connector jack that is specially required, I am good.

I don't know about other states but I was offered with free of charge. The monthly payment will not change from my current DSL. So I was confused how it was going to be delivered to my house. I was worried that they needed to bring in new line from the pole and drill it to my beautiful brick house. Don't want that.

I also just heard about the new FIOS from verizon. Wow, sounds like a real good deal. They can finally compete with cable. I was talking to a verizon technician today and the told me that they are going to try to put video on it too. That means they will be battling it out for TV. Maybe prices can finally come down a little bit. My cable company is givng me such a beating in prices. Has anyone actually had the FIOS installed? I wonder if the speeds are what they say they are. Isnt that cool though a Fiber optical cable STRAIGHT TO a jack in your home. sooo soo cool and if u think about it 40 a month. .really isn't that bad to have the kind of technology and speed. Well eventually wireless should get faster and better that u dont need any wires to the house.. maybe u just get an activation and your on. no matter where you go.. even if you move one number , one IP tune in to the newest tehcnologies coming out.

I heard that FIOS isn't fiber optic into your house, but they use fiber to the curbsdie. As far as the wall jack thingy goes - I have no clue. It's probably a different connector than a phone line. Hey, you also get a free modified D-Link wireless router with the installation - a good bonus for sharing the service in your house. After looking at a fact sheet for the router, I think that the wall jack is an ethernet jack. Sounds weird to me. See http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ for more.