xisto Community
doranp20

Solar Power solar power

A while back I read about some one developing a new type of solar panel that produces electricity from infrared light. Though it produces less electricity that a normal solar panel during 100% performance during a sunny day, the cost of producing it is a lot less think its like 10% or so. The real strength of this system is that it can produce a lot more electricity in off conditions such as cloudy days etc. I do not think they are being produced yet but can see them making a huge input to green power production with the reduced cost.

I have seen the odd solar pannel up on peoples roof's, not really useful as the sole powersource, but it can reduce your hydro bill. As I said in my other post there are also other ways to generate power wind mills, and water wheels are just a couple. But for the eco-friendly rich guy breaking free of power companies is possible. It costs alot up front, but in theory in the long run it saves you money and helps the planet.

solar panals arent that useful these days but i can see a bright future. i wont wonder if solar panal takes the place of big power stations. im affraid it will be the only power source. right now solar panals arent that useful to generate enough electricity. they tand to take large space and arent that efficient. if we can increase the efficiency and i guess soon enough we will do, it would become solar age

Hi , as we all know , The sun is a giant energy source. For many years, people have been using the sun’s energy, called solar energy, to make buildings brighter and warmer. Today, we use special equipment and specially designed buildings to capture solar energy for lighting, to heat our living spaces and our water, and even to produce electricity.
Capturing and using solar energy has become more important than ever. Traditional fuels like natural gas and oil are limited, and as these fuels become more scarce, their cost increases. Solar energy also is non-polluting and thus helps us achieve a cleaner environment.

If you collect enough solar heat, you can use it instead of heat from a furnace. One way to collect heat is to trap solar energy with solar collectors. Solar collectors allow sunlight in through plastic or glass, absorbing that sunlight and convert it to heat.

Because the heat is unable to pass easily through the plastic or glass, it is trapped inside the collector. An example of how a solar collector works is a car that has all its windows closed tightly.

When sunlight passes through the windows of the car, it is either absorbed by the seats and other surfaces inside the car, or it is reflected back out through the window.

Light that is absorbed changes into heat. Darker colored surfaces absorb more sunlight than lighter colors. Similarly, different materials hold heat more efficiently than others and are thus better suited to store solar energy.

Solar collectors come in many shapes and sizes. Passive solar collectors move heat from the collectors to other spaces naturally, without the use of fans or pumps. An attached sunroom or a south-facing room with a large window area and a tile floor (which serves to collect, retain, and then release heat) are examples of passive solar heating systems.

More over since solar energy is pollution free and it is renewable it can be considered as the energy of the future .

Notice from rvalkass:

Copied from a PDF this time: /search?q=cache:NHSJ8%3Bcd%3D1&gl=uk&gbv=1&sei=17HtV_igIoLReJeYnrgE
Anything you copy must be put in QUOTE tags.

It may be expencive to set up solar panels, but my pool is solar heated. There are a whole bunch of black pipes on the top of my porch and they heat the pool in the summer. It was a bit more expencive when installing it, but we don't have to pay for gas to heat the pool so it turned out to be quite the investment. As canpolitics said, it's not really that practical to power your entire house with it because there just isn't that much opportunity for it to charge up, especially if you live in a place where it is overcast a lot.