xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
RemoteConnection

How To Install An Application As A Service

how will this help anyone..i mean where exactly it can be applied and can be fruitfull...can it help me in making my computer faster....its really old, if yes then please give some hints or may be a tutorial..so that more and more people can get the benefit.thanks in advance.

What actually it will do? is there any good thing will happens?What do you mean by install application to service, can you explain furthermore about this? it seems like I don't get it :D

well, when u gain access to another system u need install a backdoor on that system to have more access or static access , when u choose it as a service it'll harder to stop that backdoor! and also with being as service , u have more options about running this backdoor in windows .... well mayank , what's ur OS ? your hardware models ? let me know to do sth.

You guys should do something useful with your skills

You guys should do something useful with your skills instead of making trojans. If an application is a service then you gain the ability to control its starting and stopping as well as its policies in terms of the user it runs under and such. Thats how I understand it anyhow. Unless you are controlling it directly from your windows services panel you will need an external program to operate it.

Put some thought into it and I am sure you could find something useful to do with it...

-reply by Generic guy in trenchcoat

Not as a service

Replying to RemoteConnection

I beg to differ...

This will not install an application as a service. It will only make the application run when windows starts thats all. It will not be a service in itself... Services start even if no user is logged in. The snippet you wrote will need a user to login before that application can launch

-reply by Andesh

Win servicesHow To Install An Application As A Service

Sorry for a late post :)

Just build your app as a Windows service and use the Installer.CodeEffects.Com  to compile an installer for it.They got samples and stuff.

-reply by Sasha

Ran as a ServiceHow To Install An Application As A Service

Run as a service  is a useful tool it allows a piece of software to run before you log in.  An example is runnng webcam streaming software.  It allows the  software to run without you being logged in.  If you log in as a administrator; and you shouldn't really, and someone breached you security they could run amok. With run as a service you are protected.

Yes it could be used to run a trojan or other nasty but if you are not logged in as an administrator then it won't be able to install.  If you need to install anything right click and use the "run as Administrator" option input the admin creds and hey presto windows just got more secure.

-reply by hns2005

Hi!That was most definitely one of the shortest tutorials that I have come across, seconded only by a tutorial that mentioned about how to clear the screen in MS-DOS with the CLS command :-)Running an application as a service has many advantages. Let me begin to explain - an application residing in the computer is only useful when it is running, with the exception of scheduled maintenance programs that are more useful when they have run because they are such resource hogs when they are running. Applications can either be launched by the user, they can be scheduled to launch at a particular time, they can be triggered to launch by other applications when certain events occur, or they can automatically start when the computer is started up or when the user has logged into the system.When an operation should be performed when the user logs in, such as starting up an Internet security software that monitors browser clicks, the application can launch itself by placing a shortcut within the startup icons or by making a registry entry to enable to application to run whenever the profile of a user has been loaded or when a user has logged into the system. However, there are other times when one would want an application or software to run all the time - such software can run right after the system starts up, even before the user has had a chance to log into the computer. Examples of such software is the web server, such as Apache, nginx, fasthttpd, or even Microsoft's Internet Information Service (which, BTW, is bundled with Microsoft Windows). Remote login software can be installed as a service to enable a user to log in to the computer remotely, just as Symantec's pcAnywhere does when configured to start up the host as a service.Running an application as a service has the added advantage that it is monitored by Microsoft Windows. If the service crashes, Windows can automatically attempt to start it up again, can report the error, can send an email to the system administrator, and can even launch an external program that can do something like play a sound on the computer's speaker to alert the I.T. staff about the problem. Different behavior can be configured for Windows' handling of the error, depending on whether the error was of first occurrence, second occurrence or a subsequent occurrence.Window services can be run with the credentials of any of the users that exist on the system or on a Windows domain that the computer is a part of or trusts. Ignore the concept of the Windows domain if you are not familiar with it - it has only been included for completeness. Generally, you would either run a Windows service as the SYSTEM user, the NETWORK SERVICE user, or another user account with reduced privileges. The advantage of using one of these accounts instead of one that you are logged in is that you can specify a local system policy or a group policy that prevents these user accounts from being used to log into the system. In other words, if these user accounts did get hacked for some reason, the accounts cannot be used by malicious users to log into the system directly - they would have to create run another application with the credentials of the user, before which they would have to gain access to the system first.... think of it as a chicken-and-the-egg precedence - they can't use the user credentials without logging in, and they can't login without user credentials!