xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
goldinero

Broadband In Gas Carrying internet over gas pipelines

I recently read about a company called Nethercomm that is promoting a broadband in gas technology. Apparently, this company has some patents pending on devices that can be installed in gas pipelines that go to commercial and residential buildings to provide the "last mile" connection for broadband.It appears the technology is based on radio frequencies propogated down the gas pipe as a wave guide. Nethercomm boasts data rates up to 40 Mbps are possible to the home.Anyone know of any actual implementation/trials of this technology going on presently?

I will not use it, problaly.
Altough, in their official website it said with broadband powered technology it will reduce the cost of broadband, while increasing the available bandwidth.
But personally, I don't think it will cheaper than normal broadband, because as you may know gas is one of the rare natural resources, so maybe some day gas price would be increasing, and it would affect the company :D
Anyway, this is the company official website: http://nethercomm.com/

Wow, that's pretty cool how they managed to make this technology go public, but I am sure that it will be on the expensive side; just think about the maintenance costs! Anyway, this might be good for those who don't have access to cable internet and want to have a fast connection. Good find by the way!

well your forgetting one thins gas is flammable meaning ti will blow up, thus melting all the wiring and cuasing huge problems, you can consider this a failed project from the start. its impossible to rpotect the wiring from getting damaged.