xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
kvarnerexpress

Anonymous Bittorent

Well, this might not be the best place for this post but...Anyways, my question has to do with anonymity and bittorrent (Aureus mainly). I have used protowall, peerguardian, safepeer, etc but I know that this does not prevent corporations and such from seeing who is connected to the tracker, it just prevents direct connections. I was using anonx for a while but it has since gone out of buisness. I recently signed up with secure tunnel and have been using them for a while. Anyways, they use socks proxies and ssh instead of anonx's vpn. This gave me an idea.Anyone who is familiar with azureus may know about it's proxy options. You can route tracker communications and peer communications serperatly from one another. Currently, I am routing all data through secure tunnel. I was thinking though, if I use secure tunnels ip and anonymity to connect to the tracker i.e. just proxy tracker communications and dont proxy peer communications but run protowall to prevent any connections to corporations and such, shouldn't this provide anonymity without having to go through the bottlenecks of routing everything through a proxy?

Well, this might not be the best place for this post but...

Anyways, my question has to do with anonymity and bittorrent (Aureus mainly). I have used protowall, peerguardian, safepeer, etc but I know that this does not prevent corporations and such from seeing who is connected to the tracker, it just prevents direct connections. I was using anonx for a while but it has since gone out of buisness. I recently signed up with secure tunnel and have been using them for a while. Anyways, they use socks proxies and ssh instead of anonx's vpn. This gave me an idea.

Anyone who is familiar with azureus may know about it's proxy options. You can route tracker communications and peer communications serperatly from one another. Currently, I am routing all data through secure tunnel. I was thinking though, if I use secure tunnels ip and anonymity to connect to the tracker i.e. just proxy tracker communications and dont proxy peer communications but run protowall to prevent any connections to corporations and such, shouldn't this provide anonymity without having to go through the bottlenecks of routing everything through a proxy?

167774[/snapback]

Your IP on the tracker then will be a faked one with you just proxy tracker connection and other peers cannot connect to you directly. That's exactly the case with a firewall prohibiting incoming connection. And in this way, the BT download will be very slow. I don't think it works.

I dont know whether you are from but my advice is if you are so worried about IP being broadcast on the trackers, you shouldn't use BT at all. Try other anonymous BT programs running in nodes, say Share and WinNY from Japan. Or simply the old way of XDCC and PUB.