xisto Community
kvarnerexpress

Game Programming

normally, i'd agree, but C# uses the .NET extensions (grumble grumble).... no but seriously i've heard that C# is a really good language, nice and easy to use and "doesn't sacrifice the power and efficiency of C++" (or something like that, from memory it was in MSDN somewhere). i haven't tried it myself, but my guess is that if it is using the .NET extensions, it wouldn't be that quick/efficient and it would probably have a HUGE overhead.

although it would definately be powerful enough, it might not be powerful at the most basic level, ie. for the most raw stuff like direct memory manipulation it might be a little weak (although that stuff is dangerous and often unneccessary anyways :D ) once again, i'm not sure of that as i've never used C#.

also, some API's are not designed to run on C# (like OpenGL). fortunately, some smart people have discovered ways to solve this, here is a good article.

CodeProject - Integrating C# and OpenGL

ok hopefully i've provided some kind of insight :ph34r:

peace out!

Okay, there is no arugment about the best language for coding games. C++ wins every time. And in terms of college, kvarn, you will not master it at college. It is in the hours of projects and experiments (and probably real experience) that you will master it. The idea of college is to teach you a broad range of building blocks on which you can quickly add to when you get out into the real world.

I'm looking into going into game programming and I want to know if there is another programming language I should learn to go along with C++? Or should I just learn C++(Master Blaster of C++, Master Shake of C++, Lord and Master of C++, Jedi Master of C++) and then learn(more)/master it in college?

Thanks,

Kvarner express

167476[/snapback]

If you want just to programm game, C++ is OK. Maybe C# too. If you want to make whole game, you must know something about design, 3D programs, ect. If you want to make your own game withowt coding, you can use Game Maker [https://www.yoyogames.com/], 3D Game Makrer, ect.