xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
TimothyA

Old Computer Need some help over here...

Well, for starters I got this computer like 6 months and a day ago for 3000USD...it was craptastic quality for double the price and 1/4th of the quality... Most of the parts were from 1999 and earlier, of which I only got to know about 2 months later. So now, ONE day after the guarantee expired....the HDD fried itself, the CPU blew itself to bits and the motherboard can be modified into a skateboard to give it AT LEAST a purpose. Now, I want to know why this happened EXACTLY one day after the guarantees?And second of all, why are parents so stubborn to not ORDER QUALITY PARTS that are WAY cheaper than here from america or europe? Instead I'm forced to buy a 2000USD computer that will be total garbage within a week instead of a PC that will be able to function for at least 5 years for the price of 300USD...someone tell me, please...As for the actual problem: Why did this frying happen to my PC?

Who makes the computer? Was it "custom" built? As in, did who ever you bought it from make it with scrap parts? If that's the case, often times random pieces of hardware are not compatible with each other. Or if they are, only for a limited time as the stress of interacting with the strange hardware stresses the hardware until they all fry. That's all I can help you with.How come you're paying so much for an older computer, anyway? Desktops from all the major manufacturers have dropped well below 1000USD in the past few years.

Wow, that seems like allot to pay for even a top noch computer. Allot of things could factor into a pc going boom. Did it have enough cooling? Did it have CPU and case fans? Was it on a surge protector? Did you build it yourself? What exactly happened?

Nevermind , I just opened it.... there was ABSOLUTELY nothing to reduce heat! Not even a CPU fan!And there were no screws...everything was held togheter with ductape o.oAnd yes, the PC was a "custom". And 3000USD seems "reasonable" for a crap computer.

I'm surprised your computer lasted that long without any fan!?? CPU cannot sustain the computing power once it goes over 160 F degree and the typical normal idle temperature is 145 F degrees without modifying the cooling system. Heck, if you are going to spend that much money this soon, I'll sell you my Pentium 4 3.06GHz HT with Intel motherboard (brand new in the box still sealed) :D Or how about AMD 64bit 3200+ with ASUS motherboard (also brand new and sealed)? LOL I can't believe you spent that much on a computer. You should really see Dell or Gateway these days. I can't even put a computer cheaper than what they offer.

A dell or a gateway costs 5000USD+ over here...so I got a "reletively a cheap" computer. However this time I'm going to build it myself for 500 USD :(And thanks for that offer, but I hate intel with a passion :D (Damn DRM creationists!) and HT is just a myth!AMD is all the way to go, and I'm going with the SLI northbridge from, who else?, nVidia.Btw, the cause of the frying was because the electricity company sent like a few to many volts into my house >.>

Hi TimothyA,
re:

So now, ONE day after the guarantee expired....the HDD fried itself, the CPU blew itself to bits and the motherboard can be modified into a skateboard to give it AT LEAST a purpose. Now, I want to know why this happened EXACTLY one day after the guarantees?

Man if you ever figure out a way to do that to EVERY computer..then..you'd be richer than Micro$oft.
Probably just cheap parts or a "gremlin" in the machine.
No fan..Wheeeeeeeew! That's hot death for a computer.
Condolences....
Build your own..its not that hard for a reasonably bright person with the motivation.
Good Luck :D
RGPHNX

Yo don't listen too themIt cost big money too make a comp like 3000 too 4000 just buy a ailenware there the best for gaming mac is best for school and other stuff but i trying save my money for ailenware cuz there best gaming comps but thats just my opion good luck too you

It's hard to say why all that happened exactly one day after the warranty. That's really odd. :D Some of the computer's worst enemies is dust, heat, and electrical shocks. Moving parts are usually the first things to break down in a computer, such as fans and hard drives. Once you lose your CPU fan, your CPU is pretty much dead, or if you're lucky your computer will turn to the blue screen of death or simply shut down on time. It's important to buy a new fan every few years or so. Consider it a cheap, yet worthwile investment. Hard drives need cool air circulation too. I hope for your sake that you backed up your data before all this happened. It is unfortunate, but these things happen. All computer parts break down eventually. It's not a matter of IF, but a matter of WHEN. Always backup your important data, and prepare for the worst. It's good to be safe, rather than sorry in the end.

Who sold you a computer which parts are couple of years old fo so much? If its really like that you should return it immidiately and ask money back. This computer probably isn't worth of 1/3 of the price you paid for it. You should really think of the effective way to get rid of it.