xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
heavensounds

End Of Support For Pirate Copies Of Ms Windows

The Register claims, that yesterday a new Microsoft Windows Genuine Advantage program (WGA) was published. Its job is to prevent updating of pirate copies of the Windows operating system.Users have to join the WGA program for checking authenticity of their operating system, if they'll want to recieve updates for their software. If you want to register yuo must visit Microsoft Download center, Windows Update or Microsoft Update, where and ActiveX program will check the authenticity of your installed system and than save the key for later updating...Owners of the pirate copies will still be able to get security update through the automatic updating system, because Microsoft does not want spreading of unnecessary "dirt" around the web...Well at least something for THOSE SNEAKY CHEATY pirate-copy owners :D:(

Well that is something that I myself do not have to worry about. Cause I dont believe in using pirate copies of an Operating System. You always want to have something there in case something goes wrong. And in many cases with Mircosoft it does.Well, you can guartnee that the people with pirated copies of their OS will find away around it like they always do :D

Well, this may be a surprise, to me it was not. I have a legit copy on WIn XP Pro that came with my new computer, I have the serial and all that. THe original box and whatnot. (bloody expensive too) and when I went to download MS Antispyware (which was a bad call btw) I figured to just try for the faster download and let it check whether or not my product was legit. Guess.... the program told me I have a pirate version. Yet THEIR certificate, which is glued on the cd case is genuine, THEIR cd has those holograms and all them whistles... :D So what they are saying is.. Even though I paid some big cash for XP PRO I can pay it again to fix stupid security holes THEY allow in their software... Good job in ripping off students Billybob Gates

that's total B$ about there being no way to get around it. in this country nearly everyone uses pirated software. even thoe govt. and they all downlaod the latest updates and security patches. maybe it's like the bumblebee not being able to fly according to the laws of aerdynamics, but he doesn't know it ,so he flies around anyways. they don't know they can't update, tehrefore they do. :D

This is old news Microsoft started doing this with the release of XP, then started perfecting with Service Pack 1, Service Pack 1a, & finally Service Pack 2.

It's not old news. 'Windows Genuine Advantage' is fairly recent. Before you were required to 'Activate' Windows upon installing. But now you are required to authenticate with Microsoft servers whenever you want to download security patches or generally access most of the popular Microsoft downloads. But that's okay, since there's a quick and dirty way to bypass this requirement, and worry about authenticating,

• Go to 'Tools' and 'Manange Add-Ons...' in 'Internet Explorer'
  • There'll be a drop-down box, select 'Add-ons that have been used by Internet Explorer'
  • Now, in the list-box directly below it, locate 'Windows Genuine Advantage'
  • Click it, and then the 'Enable/Disable' radio buttons in the section directly below it should now be clickeable.
  • Select 'Disable' and then hit 'OK'.
  • Restart 'Internet Explorer'.

That should be it. Now you'll be able to download and install anything you want from Microsoft again. :(

Note: Whenever you want to download updates from 'WindowsUpdates.com; and it tries to run the 'Genuine Advantage' check, ignore the pop-up message. It'll just keep going. :(

Sorry for the double post. My browser cached the page and didn't refresh it after I made the original post. So I thought that the message didn't go through and typed it up again. Mods, feel free to delete the first message. I like the second one better. :(

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
Instead of deleting I merged your 3 posts. Deletion should be the last request since it will raise your warning level AND give you the negative credits. I don't think you wanted neither :D Choose wisely when asking for deletion, next time.

i think that is bad to get error of pirated version even if u have legal copy of win xp pro i hav it and i do not hav the problem of windows genuine programe it doesnt give me the pirate copy errorand i m happy with it :Dbye

there have been reports that the WGAs can be subverted with a short line of javascript or with a simple dll file... if that is as easy as it gets to get around these new security measures, microsoft has a real problem with their OS (but we already know that, don't we? :D)

i saw this was like finally but got back to reality and said thier is always a loop hole, funnu thought it has never happen to me i should check on that.