xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
canpolitics

Domain Name Not Working Help please

Hello, I just recently recieved my site, I used a registered Domain name cpol.info. I have the name server settings correctly set to ns1.trap17.com and ns2.trap17.com. I managed to get to my site yesterday no problem, but today no go. After doing an nslookup using ns1.trap17.com as the default server I found that ns1.trap17.com has no idea where cpol.info is. Can someone please help me out here.

I can see your site, its a CMS right? Maybe its something wrong with your pc not the Xisto site, did you have firewall enable? try clearing your cookies...

Tried it at a different PC... same thing... the dns servers are hitting it with about a 50% success rate. ns1 and ns2 don't have the same IP address do they? Because I was just trying nslookup again, set my default server to ns2 first and it gave me the ip of 209.*.*.* then I tried NS1 and it gave me a 69.50.*.* ip address, then when I switched back to ns2 it gave me the same IP it just found for ns1.What the heck is going on there?

Here is some whois data:

Domain ID:D10595693-LRMSDomain Name:CPOL.INFO
Created On:18-Jul-2005 17:53:25 UTC
Last Updated On:18-Jul-2005 18:17:25 UTC
Expiration Date:18-Jul-2006 17:53:25 UTC
Sponsoring Registrar:R259-LRMS
Name Server:NS1.TRAP17.COM
Name Server:NS2.TRAP17.COM

Yet when I do a lookup I get:

How I am searching:Searching for cpol.info A record at m.root-servers.net [202.12.27.33]: Got referral to TLD5.ULTRADNS.info. [took 116 ms]
Searching for cpol.info A record at TLD5.ULTRADNS.info. [192.100.59.11]: Got referral to ns2.trap17.com. [took 23 ms]
Searching for cpol.info A record at ns2.trap17.com. [209.152.167.59]: Server failure! [took 51 ms].

Answer:
Server failure.  There's a problem with the DNS server for cpol.info.

Notice from snlildude87:
can, it's very important that you quote stuff from other sources by using the quote tags. :D

Edited

Edited by snlildude87 (see edit history)

I want to clarify that you have done the followings:You must NOT touch or change any A RECORD or CNAME RECORD. Leave it as is. I see that your A record is also set to ns2.trap17.com.I have my own domain that is hosted by Xisto and the ONLY thing I updated is the nameserver, primary: ns1.trap17.com and secondary: ns2.trap17.com. Yes, I did have an error message saying that ns2.trap17.com wasn't reachable when I updated my records, but after 24 hours it was working flawlessly. Since then my ping to my domain points to Xisto hosting server (69.50.188.18).

Those results are looking for the a record, not changing them. I updated only the nameservers as well, and it has been well over 24 hours. As you can see from this thread the problem began on the 26th, but I was able to connect briefly on the 25th, then boom nothing worked. The only way I am able to get to my site is to get the IP for ns1 or two and manually add it to my own computer's DNS search order, and this isn't just a problem related to one computer on one ISP, I have tried several whois engines, and none of them can reach my domain name. I would say that there is a problem somewhere along the way on the Xisto DNS servers. ns1.trap17.com is NOT resoving to the correct address.

As of July 28th, 12:05PM (GMT-5) Your site is up and running. But it's loading really slow. Upon a ping test the average ping time is 309ms. I'd lik to take the credit for fixing it but the real answer is, I have no clue what fixed it.Keep on watching to see if it goes down again. Bytheway, nice looking site.

Thanks Buffalo, hopefuly it improves....As for your compliment on my site.... well it is far from ready, I still have alot of work to do, but I am starting to populate it with content now... and I have a banner to replace the default almost ready to go.