xisto Community
emperor

New Warning System

I think that actual Warning System (i'm speaking about the bar under the name) is bad and that mods can abuse of it. I don't think a really new system, but that it can be used by mods only when a member post a fake thread. So one will not be warned only if they make a mistake (for example, posting in the wrong section), but only if his/her action is clearly a way to obtain points. Speaking about who post a thread in a section that give points, but this thread will suit better in one that doesn't give points, I think that you can simple take away credits earned from this thread. In poor words, I mean that the warning system should be the latest way to punish a member, only if he/she carry on trying to cheat the sytem, not an instrument that moderators can use when and how they want.

First, the warning system has been around for a long time around. It's not new.Second, You're just mad because you got warned.Third, the warning system will not be abused. I can guarantee that. Any mods caught abusing the warning system will be kicked off the moderating team, and he will lose his hosting account.Fourth, a moderator cannot take (directly), view, or give hosting credits to any member. If we were to take hosting credits away, we would have to delete your post.The warning system is just that. Define the word warning, and you'll see that its defintion is truely what describes the warning system. It warns you and sets you in the right direction so that you won't make the same mistake again. If you do make the same mistake, then you will be punished. Think of it as a warning in real-life. When you speed for the first time, the cop gives you a warning to set you straight. He also says that if you do it again, you're screwed. That's pretty much how the warning system works: friendly reminder first, punishment second.

...but that it can be used by mods only when a member post a fake thread. So one will not be warned only if they make a mistake (for example, posting in the wrong section), but only if his/her action is clearly a way to obtain points.

I read your thread on http://forums.xisto.com/topic/8060-tell-your-view-about-moderators-are-they-doing-their-job/page-2#entry165505 and not trying to be combative but I thought I would explain the situation. This forum cannot have one rule with double standards. The administrators of this forum did not spent endless time writing the forum rules so that hosted members and non-hosted members would be under separate rules. We are all under one rule--even moderators. You have been here long enough (as you said made 70 posts) to know the pinned rules set by administrators and, sometimes, moderators. The topic you decided to place in the forum section in question clearly states

Did you discover something today or learn't something new? Tell them to others, and exchange general knowledge and information. IMPORTANT : READ PINNED TOPIC REGARDING RULES!

AND

THIS FORUM IS MENT FOR TOPICS RELATED TO "WHAT IS?" i.e. For Explaining new things, issues, terms or any idea. But you may NOT create any topic which does not give any explanation.

Your post was neither.

Speaking about who post a thread in a section that give points, but this thread will suit better in one that doesn't give points, I think that you can simple take away credits earned from this thread.

In poor words, I mean that the warning system should be the latest way to punish a member

The warning system is the FIRST line of defense before it gets out of hands. The LAST way to punish a member is to ban the member altogether. When a warning is issued or when a post is moved to the spam topic section, administrators will review and take away hosting credits.

only if he/she carry on trying to cheat the sytem, not an instrument that moderators can use when and how they want.

165507[/snapback]

I do not believe that I have used the warning system in any malice way. In fact, I have used it exactly how it was intended. It got your attention. Moderators review member's warning levels and adjust it in due timely manner. When a member is found abiding under the forum rules the warning level will reflect accordingly.

Thank you for your suggestion.

- you can somehow also be a moderator, if you contact through admin.- if you are warned, find out what the reason is.- if you are not satisified, tell admin or other mods about why you shouldn't be warned.there is one more system called "reputation" which currently not integrated yet. both this "Warn" and "Reputation" systems must have in this kind of big community forum.

Uhm, badinfluence, you can't become a moderator by asking an admin. Actually, I frown on people who ask to become a moderator because that just means they want power. (if not to help). And emporer, the mods NEVER abuse the warning system. It's in place to simply warn people of there actions and hopefully make it so it doesn't happen again. A warning doesn't ban you, doesn't make it so people have to mod your posts(but we can), it's just mainly for you. Admins can ban people(and will) if they find your posts irrelivent, in the wrong place, and complete spam. Mods however just warn you. So would you rather be straight up _Banned_ by an admin, or warned by a mod? Your choice.And if you had followed the rules, made sure you read the rules to the forum you're posting in, you wouldn't have been warned.So it's your fault you were warned. Not ours. We're just trying to keep it from happening again so nothing happens to your hosting..

in order to become a mod you have to have a good reputation and im not talking about the points either, you have to help other people, do good posting, and not be stupid about your posts lik spamming them with one or 2 words and be a negative influence on the forums that would put you through a door of getting banned from the site. thats how i how succeded and failed as a mod, and thus where i am right now and hten some.and the line i know the admin personally is not going to work with the current mods and senior members of the forum either. so instead of complaining how bad the mods and admins are treating you cuz you screwed up, follow the rules.

I've played by the rules and posted whenever I can since I became a member (almost four months ago). I do have a question about the warning system, though. I was wondering if a warning can be taken away, provided I haven't made any violations on forums since I received the warning. I accidentally started a thread in the wrong category and got a mild warning (10%) in return. Will that go back down to 0% if I behave myself in the next 30 days or so?

Will that go back down to 0% if I behave myself in the next 30 days or so?

165802[/snapback]

It's lowered by one warning level for about 30 days. In your case, that will be back to 0%.

Edit: PS, please do not PM moderators or administrators to request your warning level to be reviewed. We are all on a patrol for every post and every member.

Edited by BuffaloHELP (see edit history)

Excuse me if I have offended someone (BuffaloHELP, for example), I've never thought to make this and I've never thought to became a moderator. Maybe I've been too much aggressive in my post, but when i say that someon can abuse the system, i haven't said that someone have really made this, i'm only a bit angry. Mine is simply a suggestion that, in my opinion, can made better this very good forum. Because when someone make a mistake (and i've admitted it) it isn't beautiful the little bar that everyone can see and say: hey, xxxx want cheat the forum!!! Maybe the reason is why i'm mad and paranoiac and i see evil people everywhere, in fact all my friends sayd that I'm not really sane. :) Many excuse to all moderators.

I've played by the rules and posted whenever I can since I became a member (almost four months ago).

I  do have a question about the warning system, though. I was wondering if a warning can be taken away, provided I haven't made any violations on forums since I received the warning. I accidentally started a thread in the wrong category and got a mild warning (10%) in return. Will that go back down to 0% if I behave myself in the next 30 days or so?

165802[/snapback]

Moderators will manually lower your warning level when we see that you have followed the rules, and help others for at least 30 days.

And how can you say that you "accidentally" started a thread in the wrong forum? The rules are pinned. You should have read that. Even the description of the What Is...? forum is clearly stated:

Did you discover something today or learn't something new? Tell them to others, and exchange general knowledge and information. IMPORTANT : READ PINNED TOPIC REGARDING RULES!

OpaQue even took the time to capitalize the important words: "Read pinned topic."

Excuse me if I have offended someone (BuffaloHELP, for example), I've never thought to make this and I've never thought to became a moderator. Maybe I've been too much aggressive in my post, but when i say that someon can abuse the system, i haven't said that someone have really made this, i'm only a bit angry. Mine is simply a suggestion that, in my opinion, can made better this very good forum. Because when someone make a mistake (and i've admitted it) it isn't beautiful the little bar that everyone can see and say: hey, xxxx want cheat the forum!!! Maybe the reason is why i'm mad and paranoiac and i see evil people everywhere, in fact all my friends sayd that I'm not really sane. :D

Many excuse to all moderators.

165909[/snapback]

I don't think that other members can see you warning level. Only moderators can see, but we do not judge members based on their warning level. If we see a member with a warning level higher than 0%, we check their history, and make the decision to adjust the warning.

I have been here at Xisto for awile now and I think that our moderators have been making honest judgements since I have been here. I want to ask why a moderator would want to bump up your warning level for no reason considering it is very hard to get a grudge against someone on a forum unless they spam all the time, in that case the person's warning level will be bumped up for disobeying forum rules. That is why I think there is nothing wrong with our warning system.

Excuse me if I have offended someone (BuffaloHELP, for example), I've never thought to make this

You have not offended me or any other moderators. I was replying to your question in detail as possible. If you read some kind of anger in my response I regret that you felt that way. By no means, we moderators take things personally.

it isn't beautiful the little bar that everyone can see and say: hey, xxxx want cheat the forum!!! Maybe the reason is why i'm mad and paranoiac and i see evil people everywhere, in fact all my friends sayd that I'm not really sane. :D

165909[/snapback]

Perhaps you shouldn't worry about how others might view you. Besides it's a warning, right? You can be good for next 30 days and you have been. Administrators have set up the warning system to ensure that this forum has guidance. Without guidance everything will go out of line sooner or later. It got your attention. And I bet that you will never make the same mistake again. And that's what the warning system is for--it's a nudge. It may not be pretty (as you said) but it does wonders. I'm sure you will be back to zero in no time. Let's work on it, shall we?

well i will admit i never read the TOS when i first joined i used common sense and basically got the feel of the board and how things work, but suggestion would be search readthen post and reply.

Warning system is one damn good thing. It helped me in becoming not so impulsive. If I had a bad day I could be strange (BuffaloHELP know that already). So I MUST say moderators here don't get personal in any way. I have been here even longer then most moderators and never had any problems. I have gotten help even from Opaque if I needed, so I must say this is really great forum. :D