xisto Community
Inspiron

Best Home Router

What brand you think makes the best home router?  

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

isdn taBest Home Router

my modem isdn ta v3.6 cant work on windows 7 why ?

how I can install it

please some one help me faster

-reply by bobo cat

Hi!When I first got hooked onto broadband Internet, I had a fairly simple ADSL router that provided me with four RJ-45 Ethernet network ports, one RJ-11 socket for connecting the telephone line. It was a lesser-known brand that I don't remember now, but it served it's purpose well without ever dropping packets or requiring a restart.My next router, which had wireless capability, through supporting 802.11g was a Siemens SpeedStream ADSL router - they did want to make the router look pretty so it has no visible antenna... whatever they did use is housed inside the box and it doesn't have the option of attaching an external wireless antenna. It works perfectly well when accessing it through a wired RJ-45 Ethernet network port, however the wireless Ethernet interface would drop connections periodically and would require a hard reset to get the wireless interface working again. I looked up the problem and asked around - all of the Siemens SpeedStream users had the very same issue when using the router for wireless network connectivity. The Siemens SpeedStream router has four RJ-45 Ethernet network port, one USB interface that provides network connectivity for computers and devices that lack an Ethernet interface or do not have an unused Ethernet network port, an RJ-11 socket for connecting a telephone line, and a wireless Ethernet 802.11g network interface. The router provides network address and port translation, in addition to the DMZ routing, can support four MAC address-mapped DHCP IP addresses, and supports WEP and WPA encryption of traffic. One other problem that the Siemens SpeedStream router suffers from is that the DNS gateway service often stops responding, however this problem can be easily worked around by configuring the DHCP service to provide clients with the Internet service provider's DNS server's IP address instead of the router's IP address. The Siemens SpeedStream router also supports the creation of multiple user accounts for user profiling - it can tell which port a user is logged into, when the user last logged in, and which the last URL that the user accessed was. Although the router has a lot of features, the unstable wireless network interface is a pretty good reason to make a switch to another router in the near future, but the problem seems to be almost universal among broadband ADSL routers with wireless capability.While I had the Siemens SpeedStream router at home, I worked with a 3COM wireless ADSL router with one antenna as well as a D-Link wireless ADSL router that had three antennas at the office. The 3COM router required frequent restarts, but we did not use the D-Link router enough to be able to tell much about it's stability, though it did have a lot of configuration options from DMZ to network address and port translation and port forwarding.There are NetGear/LinkSys (one of the two, I'm not really sure of which brand it was) routers out there that have a built-in display for status information and, possibly, for making configuration settings and are pretty much the ultimate in home broadband routers. Why anyone would want to spend so much on one of those is a hard question to answer since they really aren't worth the price paying for just to get a display on the router - a web-based configuration application does pretty much the same job and can be accessed from a computer.@Bobo CatYou might need the drivers for Windows 7, which you can find on the manufacturer's website. Look it up and you should find a driver to download for either 32-bit Windows 7 or 64-bit Windows 7, depending on which edition of Windows 7 you are running.

Just wanted to share my experience... I've been using Linksys gear for years now with two wireless routers set up on my home network. One does the DHCP for the whole network, the latest one is WRT54G and yes initially there were problems solved with firmware upgrades i connect to roadrunner c modem and my laptop is often connected ssh (secure CRT) to a Linux server for days without dropping the connection. I think my record is 7 days of solid connection wirelessly.