xisto Community
wild20

Rapture? What is the rapture, explain/debate here

I have heard about the rapture, but I don't believe it is going to happen. There is no biblical evidence supporting it. Texts that are used are munipultaed. Explain here why the rapture will or will not happen. Have fun debating! Remember to express your opinion too. Thanks!

Maybe you could tell us a little bit about the rapture.... Sorry I dont know what the rapture is.

Maybe you could tell us a little bit about the rapture.... Sorry I dont know what the rapture is.

164220[/snapback]

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/rapture/

In other words, it's a time when the world ends and all the good people go to heaven while the bad ones stay on the earth with the devil. If I'm wrong on this, please correct me because my answer was based on last Sunday's episode of The Simpsons. ;)

Edit: Make link clickable.

Edited by OpaQue (see edit history)

This is about faith and it depends from where you heard about rapture. If your Church or pastor isn't teaching you correctly you will never understand this rapture. And if we discuss it here, i don't think we will end up anywhere, because faith is something you can always question, the definition of faith itself is that to believe in something we hope for and certain of what we do not see. Therefore, instead of putting it across here, I suggest you search google using 'rapture christians faith' as the keyword. You will get many websites related to this and you will also come to know how different is the way different people understand and belief within Christian domain as well.

Okay, since I was the one who started the topic, let me fill you in. Many people believe the rapture is an event where millions of people will disappear suddenly and without warning and the sinners (lost) will be left behind. There is a couple of problems here.The text that is most popular is 2Peter 3:10:But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.This, is the second coming of Christ. Does it mention anywhere in there about millions of people suddenly disappearing? No. The is a cross reference however. 1Thessalonians 5:2:For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night.So we know that the day of the Lord cometh as a thief. This means quickly and with speed. Another cross reference Matthew 24:27:For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.Again we know that it will be quickly and with speed. Nothing about people disappearing.

....1Thessalonians 5:2:  For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night.

So we know that the day of the Lord cometh as a thief.  This means quickly and with speed.  Another cross reference Matthew 24:27:

For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

Again we know that it will be quickly and with speed.  Nothing about people disappearing.

164287[/snapback]

Close - You were right next to it

In 1Thessalonians 4:16 talks about how the Lord himself will, with a shout or command, have the dead - that lived in Christ - rise first. Then the next verse (17) - "After that we who are still alive will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever."

Matthew Chapt 24 - 25 is mostly Jesus warning of his return. And more precisely:

Matt 24:40-41 Uses examples of how if two people working together - one might get taken and the other left.

Matt 25:31-46 Is Jesus using a metaphor or parable to explain how he will, upon his return, seperate the good from the bad.

There are a whole bunch of prophesies on the Lord's return, but these are the only ones I could find on people disappearing or being taken.

There is a novel series on the subject called: "Left Behind". I think they made a movie about it as well.

Ah, very good. But one problem. The Thess verse, it is talking about the second coming of Christ. When we will be taken up and meet Him, and the lost will stay down here on earth. The dead, most of which probably died for their faith, will get the priviledge of being with Christ first, then we will get caught up into the clouds with Him.The Matthew verses are also good. But let me show you something about them.Matt 24:40-41 This verse talks about two people, one getting taken, the other left. Does it say anywhere about them disappearing? No. One will be taken (saved), The other left (lost). See, sometimes it sounds confusing. I am against interpreting scripture, but sometimes, I find it absolutely impossible not to, if we are to understand it. And Matt 25:31-46 only strengthens the fact that Jesus is talking about the seperation of good and bad, "Upon His return". By cross reference, we see that one supports the other and they both support the fact that there is no literal rapture. But thanks for your two cents worth.