xisto Community
strawberrie

How To Double Stroke Images Using Photoshop

(I am aware that there is an existing tutorial on double stroking text, but this is very different.)

How to double stroke images using Photoshop

by Strawberrie

1. Open up/copy&paste the image you want to double stroke onto a new layer (Shift+Ctrl+N) in Photoshop.

2. Go to Edit > Stroke. Set the width to 3 px and color to whatever you wish your furtherest inside border to be (in this case, black).

You should get something like this:

3. Go to Edit > Stroke again. Set the width to 2 px and color to whatever you wish your middle border to be (in this case, white).

4. Go to Edit > Stroke again. Set the width to 1 px and color to whatever you wish your furthest outside border to be (in this case, black).

5. And you're done! If you're creating an avatar or banner for your website, Just go to File > Save for Web and configure your output settings to finish up.

I hope this tutorial helps! ^__^

good job this should help out the new members to make good avatars to use in the forum. hmm maybe i should change my avatar, going to consider it this weekend.10/10

Thanks for the comments everyone! ;)@Saint_Michael: eh, that's a great idea! I've been using a color for the middle border this whole time... I didn't even consider leaving it clear... I've gotta try that next time! :D@thebluekirby: yeah, it really is a simple tutorial, but I was surprised that no one else had done something like it before (maybe I should come up with some more of these simple tutorials for Photoshop beginners XD)

Thanks for the comments everyone! ;)

@Saint_Michael: eh, that's a great idea! I've been using a color for the middle border this whole time... I didn't even consider leaving it clear... I've gotta try that next time! :D

@thebluekirby: yeah, it really is a simple tutorial, but I was surprised that no one else had done something like it before (maybe I should come up with some more of these simple tutorials for Photoshop beginners XD)

164305[/snapback]

HEY! I told you about the clear thing. Not Michael! Read this thread again. Humph!

Actually, Brooks showed me how to double stroke, but he did not point out that it had to be inside instead of center.

Very useful. I was looking on a tutorial for this, but I searched along borders and I got a lot of nonsense. One website even suggested manually drawing them....I would not even have know it was 'stoking'!!!! A timely tutorial and very well written. Thanks a lot.-Shackman

HEY! I told you about the clear thing. Not Michael! Read this thread again. Humph!

Actually, Brooks showed me how to double stroke, but he did not point out that it had to be inside instead of center.

164315[/snapback]

;) I can't believe I wrote that... my eyes must have been failing me or something... >_<

THANK YOU snlildude!!

I find inside the most convenient way to stroke images. Did you used to use center before?

I find inside the most convenient way to stroke images. Did you used to use center before?

164338[/snapback]

I've used center, but it just wouldn't work, and I had no idea why either. Then along came this tutorial, and I figured out that it had to be inside instead.

snlil i could have told you that about the inside stroke ;), yeah when i did the outside and center it didn't look as goo but that was a long time ago maybe i should give it another shot.

snlil i could have told you that about the inside stroke :D, yeah when i did the outside and center it didn't look as goo but that was a long time ago maybe i should give it another shot.

164384[/snapback]

Yeah, well, you know what? You didn't! :D

164315[/snapback]

Well duh, if you're making a border for the outside of the sig you can't do outside stroke, or it won't show up inside the box, and if you do center, it only does it where you've selected, which is 1px on the very outside of the sig.

i didn't snlil hmm ok im tell you now use inside option when you do the strokes for the border on sigs.

Well duh, if you're making a border for the outside of the sig you can't do outside stroke, or it won't show up inside the box, and if you do center, it only does it where you've selected, which is 1px on the very outside of the sig.

168227[/snapback]

Well how am I supposed to know that?! I've been using photoshop for like a week and some days. :D