xisto Community
Galahad

Cpu Overclocking Power failure on some components

I overclocked my CPU, from 2.0 to 2.6 GHz...I have a 300W power supply, that works pretty well, it even compensates for some short power glitches... Now, to the core of the problem... My CPU multiplier is fixed to 20 (it's a Celeron processor), and I raised my FSB from 100, to 130... I have two HDD's, and a combo optical drive... I have added a small fan on my GFX card, and added 4 more fans inside a case, to cool the machine... Now, if I raise FSB speed to 135 or above, if some heavy CPU usage is required, my second HDD will shut down, and in most cases, even my computer would restart... Now, I am pretty sure it has something to do with the power suply, but I just want to make sure... Oh, yes, I have rasied CPU core voltage from 1.525, to 1.550V... I know it's a small step, but I guess it can change a lot of things...One thing to note, is that it is older power supply, and doesn't have +12V CPU connector, just the regular ATX one... Could this be the core of the problem? It's not very essential, as I am pretty sattisfied with the speed of my computer, I just sometimes feel the need to experiment :P

I overclocked my CPU, from 2.0 to 2.6 GHz...

I have a 300W power supply, that works pretty well, it even compensates for some short power glitches... Now, to the core of the problem...

My CPU multiplier is fixed to 20 (it's a Celeron processor), and I raised my FSB from 100, to 130... I have two HDD's, and a combo optical drive... I have added a small fan on my GFX card, and added 4 more fans inside a case, to cool the machine... Now, if I raise FSB speed to 135 or above, if some heavy CPU usage is required, my second HDD will shut down, and in most cases, even my computer would restart... Now, I am pretty sure it has something to do with the power suply, but I just want to make sure... Oh, yes, I have rasied CPU core voltage from 1.525, to 1.550V... I know it's a small step, but I guess it can change a lot of things...

One thing to note, is that it is older power supply, and doesn't have +12V CPU connector, just the regular ATX one... Could this be the core of the problem? It's not very essential, as I am pretty sattisfied with the speed of my computer, I just sometimes feel the need to experiment :P

162671[/snapback]

That's a lot of overclocking dude!

I suggest you reduce the FSB because when you change the CPU multiplier only your CPU will be overclocked but in your PC practically everything is connected to the FSB and now other devices are also overclocked and it is bad! VERY BAD.

You can fry your RAM,CPU, Graphics card etc,etc UNLESS, unless you provide proper cooling.

Dont overclock any CPU more than 10% which is about 200MHz of your CPU clock that is 10MHz. And after you increase your core voltage the CPU power consumption also increases. There is a huge chance of frying.

Let me summarize: "YOUR PC IS SKATING ON THIN ICE" B)

One more thing; your PSU has 12V connector, if it didn't your hardisk, CD-ROM, motherboard etc wouldn't run. B)

Hi Galahad,
Canute is correct re:

"YOUR PC IS SKATING ON THIN ICE"

and re:

Dont overclock any CPU more than 10%
.You computer is probably "crapping out" because thermal overload (evwen with the fans).
It's probably a good thing that you didn't already have a bigger power supply because you would have probably already fried everything inside.
Hope this helps
RGPHNX

Thnx for the responses... I can't change my CPU multiplier, it's locked on 20, so only way is to rasie FSB... Anyways, my computer works stable with this 20% overclocking, and the temperature on full load, on a hot day, doesn't exceed 57 degrees Celsius... Now, I know it's a bit hot for Intel, but hey, it's a box cooler :( My memory is fine, it's designed for 166MHz, and it's now running on 133MHz, so, I have some head room :(

One more thing; your PSU has 12V connector, if it didn't your hardisk, CD-ROM, motherboard etc wouldn't run. :(

162694[/snapback]

No, I know I have standard power cables +5/G/G/+12 (red/black/black/yellow), what I meant was, what new power supplies have, +12/+12/G/G (yellow/yellow/black/black) square connector, that goes in motherboard, and is used as an extra power source for the CPU, and motherboard...

It's not actually an example of extreme overclocking, but it's close :D

Thanx for your suggestions :D

well, to tell you onw simple truth, i also overclocked my CPU too and it has never complained at all.I am also using an Intel© Celeron processor which has its multiplier locked at 10. That leaves me with only the CPU frequency tp play with. It has 100MHz as its original frequency and I have increased from 100 to 133 which increased the processor clock speed from 1000MHz to 1330MHz. I also have 2 HDDs (30+40 western digital) and I have never had any problems with them either. Ok I know that my motherboard doesnt have the option wherby I can configure my CPU core voltage or I would have considered increasing that one too.By the way, my power supply pack is 400W and it has been doing a good job. I have added an additional 2 fans (going to add the 3rd) in the case fo additional cooling of the system.I dont think that the problem is from your overclocking (since you overclocked with 20% and I overclocked with 35% without problems). If you should be having problems with your overclocking, then my PC should have gone down the rugged slope a long time ago, but it is still working perfectly without any hitches.