xisto Community
darkwarrior

Advice on Folders?

Ok, I've been messing around a bit with my space today, uploading scripts and what not but what I'm not 100% on is where do I put all my content, layouts, everything basically?Does it all go in Public_HTML? Will it not work in the root directory? And if it goes in Public_HTML will people be able to gain access to scripts and such?Thx in advance.

Ok, I've been messing around a bit with my space today, uploading scripts and what not but what I'm not 100% on is where do I put all my content, layouts, everything basically?
Does it all go in Public_HTML?  Will it not work in the root directory?  And if it goes in Public_HTML will people be able to gain access to scripts and such?

Thx in advance.

Anything you want to BE on your site has to go in public_html yes.

If they find the name of the file yes they can get into it, but you can easily p/w protect a folder, create one called "private" or something in public_html then go into your cpanel, I forget where exactly but in there somewhere there is something that lets you p/w protect a folder(directory w/e), you can choose the u/n and p/w, so everytime someone goes there it'll pop up the same login thing like when you go into your cpanel.

Just don't choose an easy p/w of course.
Edited by Triple X (see edit history)

Well ad on scripts dont have to be touched because there automatically put in the public_html folder. I would suggest using the addons there much easier. All files from frontpage etc go into the public_html.

All files including pdf files have to be in public_html to be accesible via a browser mate!

Have you uploaded them to your / directory by chance? It is worth checking out!

Whatever is in your public_html directory is reflected in the www directory too

Googlue!

Ummm yeah everything is in the public_html folder, but thats the only folder I have, I don't have a WWW folder, I think I have a trash one, tmp and the public_html, I deleted some folders when I set up the website (didn't mean too) but yeah now I think everything is all messed up, but there is zip files that are in the same folder and I can download them and see them, but the pdfs that are in the same folder, I cant see them or download them from my website.....

Why dont you PM admin and tell him to reset your website for you? i once mesed up mine by deleting some .tmp files and mistakely deactivated my webmails and some other things in there. I think that should be the best thing for you to do at this moment as you do not have a /www directory and have only /public_html and /tmp folders in your website.

Ummm yeah everything is in the public_html folder, but thats the only folder I have, I don't have a WWW folder, I think I have a trash one, tmp and the public_html, I deleted some folders when I set up the website (didn't mean too) but yeah now I think everything is all messed up, but there is zip files that are in the same folder and I can download them and see them, but the pdfs that are in the same folder, I cant see them or download them from my website.....

If you have posted pdf files in public_html folder, you can access them if you have links to them through your index.html file in that folder. To just see all the files in the folder listed while surfing, index.html files should not be there...You can't have both.

Other way is to just point to the pdf file directly: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

This might help. But if you have deleted the www folder, I am not sure about the situation and you better contact the admin as odomike suggested...

googlue!