xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
k2wl

Net Connection Taskbar Icon Disappeared

This works!Net Connection Taskbar Icon Disappeared

Start > Control Panel > Notification Area Icons

Click "Turn system icons on or off"

For the Network Icon, change system behavior dropdown box to "on".

-------------------------

I read all the above responses, and figured the Windows 3.1 days must be over...

-reply by Orville

I too had the same problem.

I think different computers have different options. My PC does not show up "notification area icons" mentioned above by many people.

This what I did then: control panel>network and internet connections>network connections>local area or LAN connection-right clik on that>properties>local area connection properties window>check if the box against "show icon in notification area when connected.".

I found this unchecked when the icon did not appear in the task bar. I checked it and presto the icon appeared immediately

-reply by curao

Network connection icon disappeared from taskbarNet Connection Taskbar Icon Disappeared

Hi, I just did a repair install of my system and spent at least an hour searching before I stumbled upon your solution. Worked like a charm, thanks. Tried all sorts of stuff before like disabling SSDP and Universal PNP, etc. The simplest solution is often the best. Incidentally, I am dual booting with Linux Mint-7, it's beautiful, do try it out.

-reply by Mehboob Sadicote

How do I get my LAN icon to show up in the notification area in Windows 7?Net Connection Taskbar Icon Disappeared

Since installation Windows 7 RC, I've never had the option to choose to have the LAN icon in the notification area.  There is no selection in any of the areas for network devices to select this.  I know in the past versions of Windows, I would check this in the properties of my network adapter but it isn't there.  Also, my notification area is configured to always show all icons all of the time.

Net Connection Taskbar Icon DisappearedNet Connection Taskbar Icon DisappearedReplying to iGuestI had the same problem on my Vista premium.I did the following:Control panel---classic view-- taskbar and start menu---Notification area tab--System icons. The network option was unchecked. I checked it and apply. Thats it the notification area icon is back.Drzhivago-reply by drzhivago

at last some reasonable explanation!!Net Connection Taskbar Icon Disappeared

Net Connection Taskbar Icon DisappearedReplying to iGuest I had the same problem on my Vista premium. I did the following: Control panel---classic view-- taskbar and start menu---Notification area tab--System icons. The network option was unchecked. I checked it and apply. Thats it the notification area icon is back. Drzhivago -reply by drzhivago 

thanks alot this really helped

-reply by taurista

"I had the same problem on my Vista premium. I did the following: Control panel---classic view-- taskbar and start menu---Notification area tab--System icons. The network option was unchecked. I checked it and apply. Thats it the notification area icon is back. Drzhivago -reply by drzhivago"But what if my network option is greyed out??? I can't check or uncheck it... What do I do?

An Actual Solution (When the Above All Failed)Net Connection Taskbar Icon Disappeared

I had this problem and spent hours on various forums, tried all the basic checking/unchecking of boxes, etc., but nothing fixed it. Then finally:

Right-click the taskbar, go to 'Task Manager.' In the 'Processes' tab, select 'explorer.Exe' and click 'End Process.' (It will warn you about losing data, but I did it with multiple tabs open in Mozilla Firefox and nothing closed.) Then, go to File--> 'New Task (Run...)' and type 'explorer.Exe' and start it. The taskbar will compress and then reload its icons, among them the missing network connection icon.

No idea how this happens or why this solution works, but it brought me back from the brink of a frustration aneurysm. 

-reply by Allison

Net Connection Taskbar Icon DisappearedNet Connection Taskbar Icon Disappeared

Replying to k2wl

You can find a nice free replacement called Network Activity Indicator at http://www.itsamples.com/

If you download it remember to right click the icon and select the start with windows box. It shows the old fashion dual flashing screen icon for dial up, and works just fine.

kelvyn

-reply by kelvyn

An Actual Solution (When the Above All Failed)Net Connection Taskbar Icon DisappearedI had this problem and spent hours on various forums, tried all the basic checking/unchecking of boxes, etc., but nothing fixed it. Then finally: Right-click the taskbar, go to 'Task Manager.' In the 'Processes' tab, select 'explorer.Exe' and click 'End Process.' (It will warn you about losing data, but I did it with multiple tabs open in Mozilla Firefox and nothing closed.) Then, go to File--> 'New Task (Run...)' and type 'explorer.Exe' and start it. The taskbar will compress and then reload its icons, among them the missing network connection icon. REALLY THS IS D ACTUAL SOLUTIN ...THANKS MAN... 

Lost MoreNet Connection Taskbar Icon Disappeared

I just did that and instead of getting anything back, I just lost about six more icons!

-reply by J?rgen

Net Connection Taskbar Icon DisappearedNet Connection Taskbar Icon Disappeared

Allison, thank you so much for that solution - it saved me hours, and was the only solution I found in the first few hours that actually worked.  Really grateful for your tip there - brilliant stuff!

-reply by RosieKeywords: internet icon disappeared