xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
k2wl

Lsass.exe Shutdowns Computer Wxp-pro

hi all, I have windows xp pro 1st edition... I have recently once again re-installed xp from dump installation file in my PC...have done it again & again b'cos of a problem which i see in OS.... i.e after connecting to the internet...after sometime i get a remote procedure call small square window in centre which says lsass.exe will shutdown PC... I also always get message that there are 47 critical updates which needs to be downloaded on the PC or it may create problem..... also gives some website address to download some registry fixing file.... Please help on how to get rid of this message & not lsass.exe shutdown my PC... thanks

There are many viruses and worms that cause a window to pop up telling you the PC is being shut down. I seem to remember lsass.exe being related to the Sasser virus. If the time to shutdown is 2 minutes then it is likely you have the Sasser.

There is a free tool available from Symantec to remove the virus.

Under no circumstance should you delete LSASS.exe as this is a system file and another reinstall will be needed!

Symantec Removal Tool

If the window pops up and you need to stop the shutdown, click Start, Run, type Cmd, press enter, type in "shutdown -a" (without the quotes) and press enter.

Good luck removing the virus and feel free to ask for more help.

If the window pops up and you need to stop the shutdown, click Start, Run, type Cmd, press enter, type in "shutdown -a" (without the quotes) and press enter.

This is a bad situation and it is mainly caused by trojan called sasser.

Until you solve your problem, use the upper quoted instruction from Rob. It can be very helpful.

I also had a chance to fight with sasser, tried the winXP updates, symantec trojan removal tool, I even tried to delete it myself using regedit. But had no luck.
After a few days of fighting I decided to format and reinstall windows (But you must not only reinstall, you must format your primary disk and then install. Otherwise you will not get rid of the worm)

But, before you do that and if removal tool from symantec doesn't work (maybe I had a different worm), try XSoftspy or Trojan Remover - they can help you discovering and destroying your worm.

Do you have any antivirus software? - You can also try Panda online scanner.

I hope I helped you a little,
good luck!

hi

thakns all of you,

i'll try for the above instructions

and let u guys know

thanks again

160237[/snapback]

sounds like your computer is pretty messed up,i have been following your posts and from what i am seeing so fars it seems like your computer might be a home for viruses,i must saybthat i have had my computer for 4 years and i have only just recently installed norton antivirus,i havent had a major problem since this coming from someone who usually had to reinstall windows at least once every two weeks,are you using any file sharing programs,this may be your problem.kazaa is virus ridden i would rather do without the files than download from them. good luck,keep us posted.