xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
cragllo

Music, your favorite source? where do you get it from?

Where do you get your music from?  

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It seems that we're all guilty! Quick! Erase the database and it's backup! :) I still download music. I'm a student struggling to pay for her books, which may be considered unrequired, her jewelry/scarf collection (um..elegance is the game), and..other STUFF. I'm poor..kind of. Soulseek is quite good. Try it some time!

I used to illegally download it before my computer turned into a piece of S***. Now I dont even buy music anymore cuz i dont feel like and i just listen to my already pimped out compact disks. Oh-le' :)

Well everyone else here seems to be hosest in their replies, so I will be too.Illegally. From IRC channels or bit torrents. (these options seem the safest).Now for why:DRM technology. Most CDs include some sort program that will install on your pc immediately upon inserting it. Usually this will mean that you cannot copy the tracks off of it, or if you do those tracks cannot be copied again, or burned or played accross a network. And since it will be a service that runs on startup, it will consume some of your resources as well. And who really knows what else it will do?All my CD collection has been converted to mp3 format and resides on a PC that isn't really used for much except storage and experimentation. We're talking about 10 GBs worth of mp3s that were only created from CDs that I bought and paid for. I find it much more convenient to access my collection this way.So if a new CD has DRM technology on it (it will say on the package) I will not buy it. I will download it.

I get all my music illegally with kazaa. I am a struggling internet marketer (if there is such a thing lol) so not much cash. And i dont want to spend 15 bucks for a CD cuz i know 1 song i like and then the rest of them suck. Id rather just download the ones i want and burn my own CDs. But alas my burner is broken so i have like 9 gigs of music takign up space on my hard drive till i get a new burner. Once i get some money i will gladly pay for my downloads like with the new napster. Cuz after all the musicians still need to get paid. But thats a whole nother post.

Techinally, downloading music is not illegal in Canada. The supreme court over here decided that the act of downloading music would not be punishable by law, but puting it up for downloading is. Confusing, I know. See the following articles:

News.com
zdNet
CTV
CSMonitor

So, as a Canadian, a large portion of my music is downloaded - legally - from p2p networks. I buy the occasional CD... if the iTunes Music Store ever came to the Great White North I'd buy an album or two from there... But, again, mostly I reap the benefits of my Canadian citizenship and download the stuff.

Personally, I download the music I like. I really couldn't care less if someone doesn't like me doing that. Although, I also tend to buy the cds that the song I like is from, just because I would like to have the original. So, I download first and buy later... It's all good, they still get my money! But I use Emule. Simply because it has no spyware and I tend to find songs that I can't find in stores around here. Like from Ashengrace and VNV Nation... It's just a pain trying to find these cds anywhere. As for KaZaA, Morpheus, Limeware and the rest. I hated them, they sucked up way too many of my comps resources and had a lot of spyware and adware attached to them. WinMX was pretty cool though, but I could never find anything of interest to me through that one. Not to mention, most of the mp3 that I did download through it were not good copies... Anywho, yeah. I download music illegally.. Or is it legal to download them, just not to share them? I can never keep up with all the controversy around it all... :) Later, -- J.