xisto Community
Styx

Outlook Express ...offline mail sending

Is there a way to configure an account in outlook express to send mail to other computers on your local LAN? or a plugin or add-on for outlook express that will do it? i've found lots for outlook, but not for express.

You could set up a mail server on you're lan and then point the smtp to the location of that server, then all the other users/computers on your lan would have an account on the mail server and you would be able to send to and from them, going to the outside world might be more difficult, but still shouldn't be to hard.

like moldboy said all you need is the primary server and all the computer connected to it then make sure all the accounts are using the same port ip number and mail client and you should be golden.

ok, i'm really new at networking. in theory i guess it sounds easy, but i haven't gotten it straight. So, how do i go about setting up a mail server on my LAN?basically i have 6 computers. all networked and connected to the internet. but we don't have broadband. only dial-up. so to send mail to another computer through outlook express without going online, that's what i want to do. then for sending mail elsewhere they can connect through their modem. so if i'm getting this straight, then one of the computers needs to be set up as the mail server, and the other ones just set up another account to that server? i've looked for tutorials, but no luck so far.

I'm so sorry about the latness of this reply, I hope this input is still of use. You will need to set one computer as the mail computer, I assume that since you use dialup that one computer dial out and the rest connect through it, although I may be wrong, I would use this computer for the webserver. Now I'm no expert in webservers or mail servers, this is all in theory, however you can use this theory and the instructions incluted with the software to make it work.So step 1, install and configure a webserver, you may want to restrict all access to only the computers on you're network, via there IP addresses. You can use a microsoft web server, or something open source like apache, there is a windows install.step 2, like I said I'm no server expert, so I don't know if you need seperate software, or if the webserver includes mailing technology. But you will need mail server technology that supports both smtp and POP3, or SMTP and IMAP.step 3, you may wish to install seperate software on this server that allows for web based mail such as OpenWebmail, or Squirl Mail, but that is optional. Now like a website where you type https://login.live.com/jsDisabled.srf?mkt=EN-US&lc=1033 to get to you would go to the browser and type the IP address of the computer which you installed the software, probably 192.168.something.something. If you used apache and didn't configure an alternate file path you will see the apache welcome page, this is good, and should work from all the computers on the network. Now you go to the mail server configurateion and create a mail address for each user, or in this case each computer, and then configure each computers outlook express settings, in this case if you server was configuted to use POP2, and SMTP it would be POP3.192.168.something.something, and alternativly for the SMTP.So if you did all this properly when you send a message from one coputer to the other you would be sending a message from comp1@192.168.23.68 (we will assume that 192.168.23.68 is the IP if the server I am getting lazy and don't feel like typing something.something) to comp2@192.168.23.68, now when that message is sent comp1 will go out on the network to 192.168.23.68 and ask the server to give the message to comp2, now comp2 won't actualy get the message until you press send/recieve in outlook express on comp2. Now you have a mini version of the internet, if you were to install something like Open Webmail on your server then instead of using outlook so send and recieve mail you could also go to 192.168.23.68 and then login to the email account, it works just like an internet mail account except it won't work outside the local network. That being said there is a much simpler way of achieving something simmilar to this without mail, if the desire is to transfer files you can create a shared folder somewhere and place the files there, or if the desire is chat you can use the dos command net send, or last but not lease for file transfer chat and a whole lot more try microsoft net meeting by typing conf at start run.If there are any questions please feel free to post back.

@ first Install Apache and mysql and phpthen Search in hotscipts.com for mail cms and mail serverthen install on your pcafter all change DNS and pop3 and SMTP address and make account in mail serverthen u can run and use outlook express for offline mail -_-