xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
mahesh2k

Linux Stability My way of crashing the linux :)

I written so many posts on linux,you may wonder why i m so much behind that operating system.This time,My plan was to challenge the stability of linux.I asked about linux session crashing concept over many support forums.and i got very few satisfactoriliy answers.

I tried Mepis distribution to crash the linux Operating system.mepis distro comes up with KDE as default window manager.For Gnome,ICEWM you have to download the packages from the internet.My plan was to download the Gnome packages from CDROM in order to install.I know how to install gnome from source using binary packages.But i was curious to find out if i made any mistake during this what will happen to the users session.

So much use of linux taught me that it is not good practice to convert RPM to DEB packages.So i converted the necessary packages and i installed using Synaptic package manager.Then i switched to my another user account in Linux.Where i know theres so many thing missng in Gnome session including Gnome's graphic thme & icon packages.Main thing behind the crap was the library files made for other distro in RPM may some time incompatible with debian distros.After booting mepis, i was prompted for username and password.where i switched to gnome session.When i typed password and hit enter.
I found that Gnome session was crashed as i expected.then i got console with my username logged in.

At the console,i thought it is good to open KDE's Text editor.I typed kate over the console it opens up.i get shocked that even if the session was crashed i able to open any application.I logged out by clearing crean and i shutdown the mepis.Then i logged in under KDE session.Linux kernel was behaving just like nothing ws happend.
Though i crashed only the session of Linux, i really not affected the kernel in anyway.but with windows as far as i know you can't do this.

You can open any Executable in Command prompt in any Windows versions but it is hard to open any aplication if you crashed the GUI.Well all this was possible because of virtual machine software.Virtual machine is specially designed for software testing,beta testing,research,bug testing etc.You can crash your guest operating system in virtual machine so many times and reinstall it again.
You can get your hands dirty with virtual machine like ,try various linux distro,install your favourite OLD OS.
If you want try virtual machine you can try these links.
VMware http://www.vmware.com/
Bochs http://bochs.sourceforge.net/
VirtualPC Try searching for virtual PC on microsoft as this software is now property of Microsoft.

check the image in my next post it is graphical explaination of what i did in mepis.
I m really curious if anyone can do it in windows?

if you really want to challenge the stability of linux, get the absolute latest version of a certain distrobution (with the latest kernel, updated software, etc..) and try crashing that.