xisto Community
zach101

Help With Forums Installing php msg boards

I am trying to put php forums on my site. I think the only ones around are these https://www.phpbb.com/ correct? even if there not they seem to be what most people use. I currently have proboards which deffinelty leaves alot to be desired. What I am wondering is after i download the forums and upload them via ftp. Where do i upload them to? the Public_html folder? and if so can i edit and/make boards and categoirs etc just from being an admin on those forums or do i need to go through the buttons on my cpanel Labeled MySQL Databases, phpMyAdmin, PostgreSQL Database and phpPgAdmin if not what are those for? Do i need to set up some kind of "database before i can upload the forums. I would really like step by step instructions on how to get it working. My ftp is Ws_ftp pro and my site is http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ if that helps thank you guys for your help in advance. :unsure: I also relize I could ask for help on phpbb forums but you guys seem more educated, friendlier and just all around good people, once again thank you for taking your time to read this post.

Welli dont know much about phpbb forums, but they are not the only forums out there, there is also IPB https://invisionpower.com/features/apps which is the once Xisto uses, and the one that i personally use and that i would recomend, because it can be tweaked soo easily to fit your needs.

You can download free trials of IPB to test it, and before you install it, it comes with a step by step instructions on how to set it up.

you can always use your Fantastico to install the forums and test them out. It doesn't hurt you and you can delete anytime.

You've to upload your files to the public_html folder, then go to your mysql database at your cpanel and set up a mysql databse with a mysql user, then follow the instructions in the forum manual provided by the forum software...

Wow i Had a long talk with buffalo yesterday and he got me all set up thanks for your guyeses help though. Did u guys know that trap already has pre installed php boards? all u have to do is just add the url and u have em for instance type mysite.trap17.com/forumshere and it will automatically install them and add a folder in public html named forumshere its extradianrly simple of course it does use up some of your bw but if you dont have that many people visiting the forums any way its fine. I would highly recomend it and its quite simple :unsure:

Although they are simple, they're of no quality... I prefer getting the version from the site themselves and install it manually, this would allow you to know which files you upload in what kind of format and when an error pops up, you know exactly where the problem is and you can correct it easily...IPB in the fantastico isnt safe, but phpbb may worth a try...

apart from the extra features in IPB and the extra support they give you, is there anything else that's better in IPB than in SMF?I personally believe that if you want IPB but don't want to spend any money, that you should use SMF. IT has most of the features in SMF, and you can even make it LOOK like IPB using the Dilber MC theme and some extra mods. In my opinion, there is no point using phpBB, particularly if you have reliable infrastructure like Xisto's. phpBB is really intended for slow servers, and it lacks many important features. There is also another good paid forum called vBulletin. It looks a bit like phpBB but has waay more features.In conclusion, IPB is a good forum if you are willing to spend money on it. If I were to have the choice between IPB and SMF (if i were to get them both for free legally) i would choose IPB. Sadly, you CAN'T get the latest version of IPB for free, hence I use SMF for my forum. It works, it is stable, and has a wide community backing it.If you are REALLY DYING to get IPB forums, there is a host called invisionfree that, as its name suggests, supplies free invision power board hosting, with invision power board v1.3 pre-installed. This is, of course, a legal service. But for all those who are loyal to Xisto, you may not want to use any other host...

Edited by detportal (see edit history)

Hmm, if you do use phpbb forums, make sure to keep them updated, as they can be particularly... hackable. Not that I would know of course. [Yes, BuffaloHELP, I have used the word "hack" on your forums... so sue me]. Anyway, whatever forum you chose... make sure it has style! Design and content are the only things you really need. Design and content baby, design and content... (Yes, I am thoroughly insane).

zach101 have you read the documentation that came with your forum package?

Where do i upload them to? the Public_html folder

Yes you upload your forums to that directory or if you want a different directory create your own- but the directory must be in public_html

do i need to go through the buttons on my cpanel Labeled MySQL Databases, phpMyAdmin, PostgreSQL Database and phpPgAdmin

You can manage your forums from the ACP (Admin Control Panel)
PhpMyAdmin - phpmyadmin can be used for managing SQL Databases

PostgreSQL Database - PostgreSQL is a database type like MySQL

phpPgAdmin - Again the same as PhpMyAdmin

Do i need to set up some kind of "database before i can upload the forums

Your forum should run on MySQL if its a PHP board. MySQL is already installed on the server.

There are other Bulliten Board types other than PHPBB, The most popular are:

IP.Board (Invision Power Board)
VBulliten
SMF
MyBB

they all run on MySQL but a few such as IP.Board and VBulliten can run on multiple database types.