xisto Community
rejected

Copyright Protection What is...Copyright protection?

Just a quick question... What's the point of copyright?Let's say I copy from Xisto... Hmm. The design of the main page. And then I start my own hosting company, with exactly the same design, but "Xisto" is changed to "trap15". No-one can sue me, since I don't live in the same country? And what can happen if I do it? Just wondering, I won't do it -_-

Not exactly, you cannot copyright physical items, only intelectual property. If you create an item you can patent it, but you wouldn't copyright an invention.

163407[/snapback]

You can copyright all tangible items, meaning anything that can be written down or saved onto something other than thought.

Let's say I copy from Xisto... Hmm. The design of the main page. And then I start my own hosting company, with exactly the same design, but "Xisto" is changed to "trap15". No-one can sue me, since I don't live in the same country? And what can happen if I do it? Just wondering, I won't do it tongue.gif

If you are in a different country, it depends on your country's laws. Some countries protect copyright protections from all countries, and others don't.

Copyright protection is for example if you have pics on your site that you made and you don't want no one else using them, you can put a copyright on them just like a name THAT you thought up, don't be stealing names that has been and still is registered copyright. I know of 1 site that did that and its a bands name and they had that name since 1992 and this chick is claiming she had it first so she decided to copyright the name well first off she didn't do any research to see the name she has is used or copyrighted. This is what we call STEALING copyright theft. So please if you choose to copyright protect a name or a pic, do some research making sure NOONE else has it. Don't make the same stupid mistake that chick I know did. So if you have art work that YOU did noone else made them, you can slap a copyright protection on it if you feel you don't want noone else using them.

copyright hmmm i dont know much about copyright all i know is that this is illegal when you violated it...;0

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
Writing a non-contributing single line post is considered SPAM. Please refrain from spamming.
Edited by BuffaloHELP (see edit history)

The only thing i thought copyright was not to steal anything from the site or you can get sued. But why would you want to steal something from someones site its not fun stealing it its fun to make it your self to know that you made the site oyu didnt steal it or anything. ITs just better to know that you made your own site.

Okay i kinda knew abit of that but you've informed me more about it. :) my friend has her own website *hosted by Xisto* and he has it copyrighted to her so when ever i ask her how she does something she always says 'i cant because its copyrighted to me' ahah :)

I would really love to get stuff registered and copyrighted... problem is..... I don't know how.And I fear that people could have stolen content from my games and website long back when I had the stuff up.....How would I go about doing this?

With all this talk about copyrights, has it dawned on people here that most of the 'sig' makers here (myself included) are probably breaching someone's copyright every time we make a sig. This is of course unless we make the renders ourselves or the original author has given consent for the image to be used. This is particularly relevant when we use a render of a game character or comic character. It doesn't matter how much you change the original image, it is still protected by copyright unless the author gives you consent to use it. And giving credit to the original author is technically not enough to get around the copyright. I think the main issue with copyrights revolves around the question, "Are you making a profit or stopping the original author from making a profit by using their work?" Personally I can't see authors being too concerned with the way images are used here, clearly there is no profit being made and I can't see how a sig would stop them from making a profit.Just something to think about. :)

Thanks for clearing out things for us! I was really <<confuzzled>> :P by "2004, 2005" and stuff like that. Thanks for making it clear for everyone.By the way... what do you think about"Copyright © Adrian Laurentiu. 2004, 2005"Heheh. :(

Hey, thanks for this little background knowledge on what copyright is and how to use it.I was actually wondering how I would have to go about copyrighting parts of my website, the images and whatknot. I needn't go any further than the Xisto forums.These are great :)

Okay i kinda knew abit of that but you've informed me more about it.  ;)

my friend has her own website *hosted by Xisto* and he has it copyrighted to her so when ever i ask her how she does something she always says

'i cant because its copyrighted to me' ahah  :)

183574[/snapback]

If your friend thinks that it's okay that you use the stuff on his/her website, you can of course do it. When content is copyrighted (you don't even need to tell it on your site, it's copyrighted "by default"), you can ask for permission by the owner to use it on your own site.

I've always thought that the pages expire the next year... I guess I'm wrong! And I'm not sure about this, but I think if you host something, you are sharing the copyright with your host? I'm not sure, and it's unlikely.?