xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
arcanistherogue

How Do I Switch From Gnome To Kde? Ubuntu Linux

Hey. I use Windows mainly, as I use games and graphical programs the most. However, I use Linux a bit, just for programming and other things like that. I'm not that good at programming and linux though ;_;...Well, I decided that the main reason I don't like to use it is that it looks so alien, and I hate how GNOME looks. I hear that if I move to KDE I'll be sacrificing some performance or whatnot. I have this really crazy linux zealot friend who preaches the linux gospel to me, and will attempt to beat down any reason why I like Windows. I would ask him, but he would probably go crazy and tell me facts why GNOME is better and how stupid I am for choosing KDE, but I really don't care for that. That's why I am asking it here.I don't know too much, so a walk-through of sorts would be appreciated...Thanks to anyone who helps or provides links.Also, is there a way for me to change the font in linux? To perhaps Tahoma or Verdana? I love both Win XP and Mac OS X, and bringing these fonts to linux would be great.

If you have previously installed both environments Gnome and KDE you can switch between them as m^e said. You can switch between them also at login (if you use the graphic interface, just choose KDE instead of Gnome in login screen, if you're using text login screen, then all you have to do is when you have logged in your computer to type kde) If you didn't installed KDE, than you have to go to the RPM upgrading section or whatever is it called and choose from the installation cd-s KDE environment to install, put the corisponding cd/dvd in your drive and instal it. Then you can switch to KDE. Hope it helps

KDE is the right platform for those users who use Linux for development purposes...GNOME is more suitable for general usage. AND GNOME REALLY IS BAD!!-reply by Sourodeep

Iguest says that KDE is more for the developer and Gnome more for the general user?I'm not sure I understand why you make that distinction?yes Gnome looks and feels more like Windows, but also gives a level of flexibitlity that you don't get with KDE (personally I like to have a nice clean desktop and I hate the way that lots of ditros end up getting lots of icons on the desktop).I used to use KDE exclusively, but now I've gone over to Gnome - no real reason, for this just fancied a change. I expect in a year or so when the new kernels come out I'll upgrade over to XUbuntu to keep my little old laptop up to pace with developments.There are some nice touches in KDE, but I find them a bit gimicky (I did like being able to have a different background on each of my virtual desktops).I would recomend to arcanistherogue that he joins the ubuntu forums, he will find a hugely helpful crowd. I'm not sure how moving from Gnome to KDE will affect the various underlying things stuff (I know there are some differences in the dependencies for KDE and Gnome).Either way I expect he'll enjoy the change of desktop as much as anything else, as they say "a change is as good as a rest"Dave

I have just added linux (ubuntu) to my computer to try and get away from my super slow vista. I have the gnome desk top and want to switch to the kde. The kde is working mostly well, but I can not get my network manager to load up.

I have loaded and reloaded all of the dependent programs, and the synaptic package manager as well as the add delete package manager in the kde show that it is intalled. I still can not get it to show up under the internet files or even to load from the file itself. I do not know a lot about computers, can someone please help me.  

Thank you to anyone who can give me any ideas to try and fix this problem.

-question by Laura

looks like your Linux zealot friend didn't tell you that there areA couple of "religious" battles going on: Gnome vs KDE, EMACS vs VI,..Just to name two of the biggest ones -- people who have been aroundUNIX/LINUX for a while don'ttake these things very seriously.It's all about personal preferences -- what works best for _you_ --And with Linux you _do_ have a choice which window manager or toolsYou use. (Opposed to Apple or Windows.. Both their desktops ****In my humble opinion). Both Gnome and KDE have some things in common:   * they try both to look & feel similar to Windows or Mac OS X   * they both use a whole bunch of background processes which   eat up CPU cycles   * they focus more on looking cool & pretty, than on functionalityPersonally, I don't like _either_ Gnome or KDE, for above reasons.People are so "brainwashed" to have to have icons on the desktop and menuBars ..   but do you really need those?To me the icons   on the desktop are just   clutter   - good luck in findingSomething!  And   the menu bars don't have to take up valuable screen space(as in Mac OSX or default Gnome   behavior).What even the latest Gnome / KDE miss is excellent virtual screen support!And that's most important to me, and where good 'ol FVWM comes in!

FVWM window manager:   * best virtual screen support   * scroll mouse across the whole virtual desktop (acts like one huge   screen)   * pull windows from another virtual screen to your active screen   * push windows from your active screen to another virtual screen   * focus follows mouse (mouse focus can be on lower window)   * mapping of "lower-or-raise window" to a key (quickest way to cycle windows)   * rolling-up windows on double-clicking title-bar   * what's hidden in the menus in Gnome/KDE is visible on right-click   on the FVWM screen background - you don't need menu bars :)   * FVWM is truly fully customizableIMHO fvwm is the most practical window manager for me.you may   want to   check the first   5+ items on this Google search:https://www.google.com/search?q=fvwm;

-reply by UNIXguy