xisto Community
Amezis

Amd - Very Noicy?

Well, three years ago, my dad bought a computer for me. This one had an Intel Pentium 4 processor. And I could use it without he saw it, when he came, I just turned off the screen and started to do something else :unsure:After some months, his computer crashed, and he needed a new one - fast, so he used mine. So he bought a new one for me, which had an AMD Athlon processor. But this time he knew that I used the computer, since it was very noicy.This christmas, I got a new computer again, and my brother used the old one. I had to build it myself, since he just bought the different parts. I complained about the second he bought for me, since it was very noicy, so he bought a computer-case which was veeeeery silent. However, the new computer was still veeery noicy!Last week, I got a new computer at my mom's house. This time we couldn't spend that much money, so we bought a... hmm... "normal" computer... This time with Intel Pentium 4, like the first one. When I turned it on the first time, I noticed that I almost couldn't even hear the fan(s) in the computer.So the first and the last computer, were very silent, and they used Intel Pentium 4. The second and third, veeery noicy, uses AMD.So, is AMD really more noicy?I know you can buy lots of things to do the processor silent, but, without all these add-ons, just a normal processor, is AMD the most noicy?

dexter is right. Processors themselves do not make any noise, it is the fans inside your case that create the 'whirring' noise of a computer. AMD and Intel use different fans, so they will create different noises. If you need your computer to be quiet, just replace the CPU fan with a quieter model and see if that helps. If not, replace all the fans with quieter models, just make sure you have enough cooling to stop the computer overheating and switching off or worse, damaging components.

If you spend pile of bucks for new comp. Then you can spend little more for water coling system :unsure: i guarant you never hear even bubbles :D (of cours if procesor not get water :D then you hear scretch :D ). Joke. But i'm serius, i use water cooling system and no hear any sounds, any fans.

Yes, amd procesors really more noicy!The amd faster get hot! Actually 3 sec without fan Amd procesor die :D ,but for intel procesor this proces is longer! when intel procesor. is to hot, PC Shuts Down :D, and u need only to change fan, becouse without u can t turn on you system!Use water coling system and special case! It is not cheap but it is effective! :D:D:P P.S. sorry for my bad english :unsure:

Open up your PC case and locate all of the coolers inside. Do this while the PC is on, and avoid touching the circuits on the motherboard, graphics card etc. because you may get electrocuted and fry your equipment.

Once you have done that, try to figure out from which cooler is the noise coming from. Computers can be very loud sometimes because of these coolers:

1) The CPU (most common) cooler

2) The case cooler (the one that is attached on the back side of the PC case, most users don't have one)

3) The fan on your power supply

4) The built-in chipset cooler on your motherboard (most motherboards don't have one, nor do they need it, but be sure to double-check)

In your case, the 3rd cooler (power supply fan) is not the loud one because you changed the PC case recently (the case is shipped with the power supply).

I doubt that you have the 2nd cooler (the case cooler), because they are usually quiet (but become loud a few days before they go out of order, but their life span is more than 10 years!).

You don't probably have the 4th cooler, and I haven't heard anyone complain about them.

So, the cooler that should be replaced is probably the 1st one - the CPU cooler. You can buy a new cooler that is probably very silent for a very low price (if you decide not to choose to use a water cooling system).

Here are some websites of cooler/cooling system manufacturers:

http://www.coolermaster.com/ <--- The best!

http://www.speeze.com/

http://www.silenx.com/

PS: Be careful! Only buy a cooler that is MADE FOR AMD CPU's! (they are called socket A coolers)

Yes, amd procesors really more noicy!The amd faster get hot! Actually 3 sec without fan Amd procesor  die :D ,but for intel procesor this proces is longer! when intel  procesor. is to hot,  PC  Shuts Down  :D, and u need only to change fan, becouse  without u can t turn on you system!

Use water coling system and special case! It is not cheap but it is effective!  :D  :D  :P

P.S. sorry for my bad english  :unsure:

157448[/snapback]

A processor does not generate noise! End of story...

AMD heats up less than Intel, but AMD can't stand high temperatures (>70 degrees C) while Intel works just fine at those high temperatures.

If you have a newer motherboard, whether you have an Intel or an AMD system, the PC will shut down automatically to prevent any damage to the CPU. This feature is pretty much a standardized one, and many motherboards have it (example: my Asus A7N8X-E has C.O.P. - CPU overheating protection - I have witnessed it in action when my PC turned off because of a high room temperature). So, the BIOS decides if the PC will shut down because of a high temperature, not the CPU itself.

I agree with the post above. The fans cooling the CPU are more noisy, but not the CPU. CPUs do not make noise. Generally speaking, yes, AMD fans are more noisy than Intel's.

AMD fans are more noisy than Intel's.

This could be due to the core heating in the AMD processor, they have a smaller area that heats up faster then a P4 and as such needs to be cooled more, this would require a faster more powerful, and accordingly louder fan.
About the high heat shutdown my MoBo has that feature too, soltek calls it the ABSII, Anti Burn Sheild.

They're all right, AMD processors increase the heat faster than other processors do, that is why they need to put nice fan to maintain the heat or else it will hang and could damage the devices. The noice that you heard was the fan not the processor itself. I used amd before and encouter the same case as you have, but I can't do nothing, I try to attached the fan very tightly in will decrease the sound a little but still there.try to check your fan attached to the processors maybe it may not fitted properly just to lessen the sound not to remove the sound...

It is noisy becuz dust builds up on ur fan and inside of ur cpu case. try cleaning it with a vacum. make sure u get all the dust bunnies.[especcially on ur fan] and try n see what happens.

I want to repeat that AMD Processors DO NOT make any noise, the noise issue is related to fast coolers that are required to cool down the core. So I would suggest that you should buy a water cooling system or a good silence cooler, for example something from "cool breathe" series.

I have an AMD Athlon XP 3200+ one of the fastest in the Athlon XP range, it is VERY quites, well, as we all know, processors dont make any noise (unless they burn out :D) I have a large heatsink with a fan on it, i have a fan to the side of the case blowing air in, and i have two less powerfull fans at the back sucking air out, supprisingly, my computer is quite quiet, some reasons why:a) the case does not touch my desk sirectly, it is raised with soft pads (to absorb vibrations)B) theinside of the case is lined with speacial foam, to absorb noise and vibration. the only thing that makes the noise are the hard drives, and the silent whir of the fans :P

I KNOW that the processor doesn't make any noise, but the startard AMD fan is for some reason more noisy than the Pentium one...Someone said that AMD increase the heat faster than other processors... Is that why the fan have to be faster or something like that, and be more noisy?I've checked 11 computers now (friends), 5 with AMD and 6 with pentium. The AMD ones are very noisy! None of the computers had upgraded hardware...

After seeing 7 "noicy"s, I thought you should look at this: http://www.dictionary.com/browse/noisy/ Anyway, I recently switched from a Pentium to an AMD, and I've noticed the that the AMD is a lot louder than the Pentium. I don't think it's the processor though because the processor is just a chip. Maybe it's because all AMDs come with bad fans which make you think that AMDs are louder. :-/