xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
hulunes

What's Ur Fav Linux

to a new one in linux world,called laity like me.i want to know what's your favourate distribution of linux?after all,there are so many good version and some unknown distribution but looks fines.i'am confused and have no idea how to opt from so many...expect frequent linux user's reply ,thx :rolleyes:

Hi, great you will try linux.

I am a debian user since year 2k (may be more, not remembering well). Before that I used to use Red Hat, but in those times Reh Hat had many problems not easily ro solve. On debian, I've installed several servers, use it as workstation, office work, etc.

To first start I recommend knoppix, because it doesn't touch your actually installed system. There you can 'see' how linux looks like and try some programs, practice with commands, and so on.

Obviusly as a debian user I would recommend debian. You have the complete control, easy to install, but for a first installation, maybe you should use mandriva (or mandrake) or suse. Both are more friendly. When you learn enough you can switch to debian and live happy.

Try it, don't hesitate :rolleyes: !

yeah,most hear from is redhat including fedaro distribution...but they are issued too early about 2000~2002,not update frequently.like other OS,up-to-date one usually bring the steady and good performance...maybe.

I am currently using Slax - a live CD based on Slackware, but I installed it to my HDD (a small one - only 1,5GB in size, I didn't want to mess with partition resizing, so I recycled this HDD). It has the perfect stability of Slackware and KDE 3.4 (and FluxBox also) as it's window manager. I added the development module to it and now I can compile and install new programs! However, I tried out some other distros (not on my PC) and here are the ones that I really like:1. Mandrake Linux2. Fedora3. Slackware4. Debian5. GentooHere are the Live CD distros that I really like:1. Knoppix2. Slax (only 200MB! fits on a mini CD!)3. DSL (Damn Small Linux ? fits on a business card disk ? 50mb, it even has a window manager!)4. BeatriX (it's based on Knoppix, if I am not mistaking)Believe it or not, I tried out Hal91 - it's a Linux distribution that fits on a single floppy! It doesn't contain a window manager, but it's still very usable! (can be used as a rescue disk for old computers running Windows with a FAT or FAT32 filesystem)Unfortunately, it hasn?t been updated since 1998...I didn't try out Ubuntu, but I heard allot of good things about it... I ordered a CD and I hope that it will arrive soon!

I'll second the fact that a live CD is best to start off with. Knoppix is supposed to be very good, like many others are mentioned :rolleyes:I use Fedora, so I guess I'll naturally vote for it -- I have had no serious glitches with it so far - ok, a few, but nothing life-threatning :lol: Fedora 3 is nice, except setting Mime Types seems a little more long drawn than usual. Unless I'm missing something. Mandrake (or whatever it's latest version is called) is also supposed to be one of the best.

I third that to learn linux without installing it I would recommend using a live cd distro like Knoppix or Mandrake. however, I am not a big fedora fan. I tried it a few months ago and hated it. I just didnt like the way they did numerous things. Current I am using Suse 9.2 Pro and I love it. It definitely is the distro for me. So what I am saying is that there is no "best distro" as some call it but it is more of a personal preference. Just download one and try it and if you like it keep it, if not try a new one. Thats my advice.

Start with a live distro givin above and see if your even going to like linux. I reccomend either Suse 9.0 Personal, Red Hat Linux 9, or Fedora Core 2.Suse is good if your useing linux for a home computer, Red Hat 9 is good for Network reliability and Fedora Core 2 is for the hardcore, ohh and dont forget Gentoo but i wont recomend that until your a good year into the linux world.

well,i download several linux iso ,like suse or gentoo linux is not easy to be installed on a laptop,for me.maybe i vent now,but i really have no idea have to intall them with the download iso file to a certain free HD.usuaslly it is not convenient for newbie in installing linux,that is to say,you must boot from the boot disk before install linux iso file.because i use notebook without hard and useless floopy drive at all.although the windows and performance of linux attract comp fans,installition is more harder than microsoft product which can be installed from cd-rom directly. :unsure:

For me? Favourite Linux distro goes to... ummm... SuSE Linux since no other distro I use tops it. It especially rocks w/ KDE 3.4Mandrake (Mandriva) is just crappy.xboxrulz

hi i think xandrose 3 oce is better choice for beginersit has good hardware support. wonderfull windows partition support . good windows like interface. personally i like xandros but i have tried folowing distrosgentoofedora3redhat9knoppixyopermandrake9.1,10,10.1ubuntumepis3.1gnoppixsolaris10suse9.1 personalso the advice is that try everything untill u know that this is the one u r searching for distrobye

My favourite Linux Distro is Mandrake 10 (Mandriva - I hate the new name which sounds crappy). Why? First of all I'm not much of a power user in Linux so an easier OS becomes my favourite. I also like Fedora Core, but it doesn't have some important stuff for me like automounting at install. I really don't get it why they don't enable the automounting of NTFS partitions on Fedore Core. A few weeks ago I had some problems with my video card in Mandrake and Fedore Core (hope someday they will fix this driver problems if they are to really challenge Windows supremacy on desktop) and now I have given up trying to make it works. So now I use Knoppix, the Live CD Linux Distro.

I tried a few Distributions as I am a newbie to Linux...From RedHat all the way to Knoppix, I would prabobly say Knoppix is the easiest to get around with as it has a Bootable LiveCD that doesn't require to install then the complicated RedHat.I've did researched for RedHat before and found many books on Linux distributions in the libraries are on RedHat so I decided to explore it...What I can say is that RedHat, although is another Linux distribution, is very and much more complicated then other distributions. As compared to Knoppix, RedHat is like godmode of Linux. Well, that's what I'm trying to say, RedHat can do alot more things and any other Linux distributions.Madrake and Mandriva, both I've tried before. The improved version of Mandrake, now called Mandriva, is alot better on my Dell notebook. Now this notebook is widescreen so I expected some resolution problems with it before I install, since it's Linux and not Windows. To my surprise, it worked fullscreen. It doesn't for it's older version. Function wise, more or less the same, couldn't really find the reason before I drop back to Windows XP.Linspire, probably on of my hottest distributions, can really catch the eye of many people other then just geeks. It's GUI is so cool, far better then MAC or Windows XP. It's eye-candy feature probably just rocks the Linux world. It even allows you to download drivers on the spot upon plug and play devices right from Linspire website and automatically configures the system, much like a Windows feature. This is certainly a huge advantage for Linux noobs and idiots. But the sad thing, it isn't a free distro.