xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
kvarnerexpress

Gentoo

Okay, so I'm still fairly new to linux (still newbie) and I've decided after talking to multiple people to install Gentoo, and after speaking with some people to go ahead and try it myself. But I'm getting stuck, maybe i should post this on the gentoo forums but I figured I'd post it here first and by the time I get home, hopefully be able to get further with my installation.So this is the first time I've tried installing something like this. I've installed Mandrake, Redhat, Fedora, and SuSE before but those all have graphical interfaces and make things easier then this.I got up to the point of installing (using stage3) and not sure where things went wrong.I probably went back and forth for quite a few hours and learned a lot while getting as far as I did. I installed Stage3, untarred and everything, used the mounts, I made 3 mounts, not sure how well I did this but I have a 120GB HD I'm using and its secondary, so its /dev/hdb (primary hd has Windows XP).I made 3 partitions, 1 - Ext3 512Mb (mounted at /mnt/gentoo/boot)2 - Swap 1Gb (swapon /dev/hdb2)3 - Ext3 100Gb (mounted at /mnt/gentoo )I first mounted hdb3, then hdb1, then did swapon /dev/hdb2.I went into the /mnt/gentoo and downloaded the Stage3 and the MD5 and checked, then did the tar command as specificed in the manual. After that I downloaded and checked the portage-20050303.tar.bz2, then used the tar commend as specified in the manual. So I beleive I did that all right, I'm not sure...(I did this last night for about 3-4 hours messing around so I may state some information wrong but if I do please correct me if you can )After that it talks about the make.conf file. I didn't edit that, this is where I got lost. I got to the point where I copied the network configuration to the correct place as specificed by the manual and used a mirror. Then I (forgot the commend) but got up to the point of emerge --sync and that went fine. But after that I'm stuck. I'm not quite sure what to do and I'm supposed to have something in /usr/src/linux but when I go to /usr/src/ the folder linux isnt there (not sure if thats right "/usr/src" but i went to the one specified in the manual) and when I was in the src folder, I didn't have a linux folder. This is where I got stuck, repeated the whole installation twice and learned a lot more than I did before but still didn't have the linux folder...does anyone know where I went wrong? Compiling the kernel I think. Not sure if I explained this well but I tried, and maybe someone will beable to understand what I'm doing wrong and help me. Thanks for taking the time to read this [edit] Incase your wondering why I didn't use all of my hard drive on my formating and everything, I was going to wait until I got everything installed and gentoo booted with either Gnome or KDE and from there make the rest of the harddrive a Fat32 Partition for transfering files from my Win XP to Gentoo back and forth. incase anyones wondering my computer isMotherboard: gigabyte socket 939 (nforce 3 i beleive...)Processor: AMD 64 3000+Memory: 512MB & 256 MBGraphics Card: (Something Like...)Nvidia Something MX 4 or something, i dont know, it was cheap, AGP and 64mbHDA - 160GB (Windows XP)HDB - 120GB (Gentoo, with 10 gig for FAT32)DVD Drive - (Forgot which kind)DVD R-W (+/-) DL - BenQ (forgot which kind)Moniter (Old Moniter ) Compaq M720Yeah thats about it i think...Only thing that when i boot linux up is it not recognizing the audio card, but the cd for it has linux files on it

try an emerge gentoo-sources and remeber that isn't the only kernel, you can get ck-sources (patchd for desktop) vanilla-sources(the kernel from kernel.org) mm-sources (think it's unsupported) and there are more that i can't think of, also i really would edit the make.conf because otherwise you may just as well go with anything that isn't gentoo :P