xisto Community
theconman

Making "no Post Count" Forums Worthwhile... I think it should be done...

I've noticed that music, creativity, entertainment forums are "No Post Count". Now I can understand, you dont want somebody to post a 4 page essay and get credits for it. But there are a lot of serious critquing (sp?) going on in there, that deserve credits. I come to this site, and Music, and Creativity are two subjects that I can comment on intelligently, and originally.With the others forums, I'm just saying things that people already know, since my knowledge of computers and technology is late, or fundamental. And since the point of the credits is to post 'thoughtful' and 'important' posts, worth peoples time, this is my suggestion:When people post in these forums, the posting credits don't get added. What happens is, it is send to a Mod, who then decides how many credits should be given to the person. Example:I post a 500 word essay, and then like 2 40 word sentences asking for responses. Instead of getting 540 words worth of credits, the Mod sees that the 500 are not actual posting, and I get 40 words worth of credits.Now I understand that this would be very tedious and actual modding work would be interrupted to deal with these posts. Now there could be a special group to handle this, like 4 people for each forum, and whenever they get time, they check the group inbox, and deal with that. It doesn't need to be instantaneous, but eventually should be done. The people posting about music and movies deserve just as many credits as the computer people. Since they are coming to Xisto.com, and doing the same as the PC people...What do you think?

i just wanna say that nowdays the Xisto's credit system make it more serious than before.then it keep the server's speed.if we lost this system i think the connected speed of Xisto will go back just like 2004 former.

It's a good idea, but there aren't so many mods on the forum to begin with, so work would be a little tight. But what would be more effieciant(and time saving, none the less), in places where there is no post count, hosting credits can count as half. Say you write a 500 word essay, and get, normally around 10-? credits, you would get 5-? credits. If you always got full credits people would just copy/paste articles off the net and quote them. It'll be abused. So I still think SOME credit should be giving. but no more then half.Anyone agree with me? Disagree?

I've noticed that music, creativity, entertainment forums are "No Post Count". Now I can understand, you dont want somebody to post a 4 page essay and get credits for it. But there are a lot of serious critquing (sp?) going on in there, that deserve credits. I come to this site, and Music, and Creativity are two subjects that I can comment on intelligently, and originally.

The people posting about music and movies deserve just as many credits as the computer people. Since they are coming to Xisto.com, and doing the same as the PC people...

What do you think?

155162[/snapback]

I second most of what's been said here. I was actually about to write something to this effect, but I noticed this, so I'll just reply here :rolleyes:

While I haven't posted/commented in the Creativity forums lately, largely because I'm rather occupied, I'm sure I will very soon. And I think people who respond and critique others' works do deserve credits....

I'd suggest the following crediting system if it is not too complicated:

a. Thread starter gets no credits.

b. Every response more than 100 words gets due credit.

c. For every response to a topic that does not come from the topic starter, the topic author gets x credits, x being some suitable number.

I think this can be automated, I have seen systems like this on other forums, so I think it can be done. Whether it is a decent idea or not is another question... :lol:

to let you know its sounds like a good idea i think the admin thought about it keep the posts going on this topic and they might consider.NOTE: MEMBERS DO NOT GET POINTS FOR ANYTHING QUOTED AND IF MEMBERS DO GET CAUGHT NOT QUOTING COPIED INFO WILL GET WARNED FIRST IF CAUGHT BANNED.

We previously did not have any restrictions on the points earned through some of the topics like creativity, entertainment etc. But, we were soon forced to because,

Items could be easily copied

Most of them were not genuine

Many people were simply abusing it posting huge text matter

Most of the times, quite irrelavant things were found to be posted.

Morever, the topic itself was not so serious or technical enough to be considered for giving points.

Topics were not being followed by the creators themself.

Too much strain on moderators editing the post and on admins too (adjusting credits) as most of the were topics and had to be manually adjusted.

Inshort, the forum category was not natural at all. The post were made for the heck of it and was being abused a lot. Thus, we decided to keep it so that people who are really interested and wanted to share their work could use it :-)

The forum category was not natural at all. The post were made for the heck of it and was being abused a lot. Thus, we decided to keep it so that people who are really interested and wanted to share their work could use it :-)

155452[/snapback]

Hmm... I see. And I think I understand. No problem, I'm sure we'll have good fun anyway :rolleyes: Like you said, if it means filtering out posts which are made for 'the heck of it', then I guess it's going to work out in the favour of the forum after all :lol:

Cheers!

We previously did not have any restrictions on the points earned through some of the topics like creativity, entertainment etc. But, we were soon forced to because,

Items could be easily copied

Most of them were not genuine

Many people were simply abusing it posting huge text matter

Most of the times, quite irrelavant things were found to be posted.

Morever, the topic itself was not so serious or technical enough to be considered for giving points.

Topics were not being followed by the creators themself.

Too much strain on moderators editing the post and on admins too (adjusting credits) as most of the were topics and had to be manually adjusted.

Inshort, the forum category was not natural at all. The post were made for the heck of it and was being abused a lot. Thus, we decided to keep it so that people who are really interested and wanted to share their work could use it :-)

155452[/snapback]

I can see how it could be abused, but thats why it would go through some sort of filter (ie Mods, that group). So even if it was just a copied peice, it would be noticed and no credits would be awarded. But if a thoughtful reply was given by somebody else, then s/he would get the deserved points.

If you could get like 10-25 very active and loyal members to be part of the group and they would moderate the specific forums.

Its just that I'm not as knowledgable concerning other topics. When it comes to technology, computers, etc. most or all posts by me would unintelligable or redundant. But regarding movies, or music, or some sort of art, I am much more knowledgable of, so the aim of the credit system: thoughtful post would be reached.

I dont know... I just think it'd be a good idea.

I've noticed that music, creativity, entertainment forums are "No Post Count". Now I can understand, you dont want somebody to post a 4 page essay and get credits for it. But there are a lot of serious critquing (sp?) going on in there, that deserve credits. I come to this site, and Music, and Creativity are two subjects that I can comment on intelligently, and originally.

With the others forums, I'm just saying things that people already know, since my knowledge of computers and technology is late, or fundamental. And since the point of the credits is to post 'thoughtful' and 'important' posts, worth peoples time, this is my suggestion:

When people post in these forums, the posting credits don't get added. What happens is, it is send to a Mod, who then decides how many credits should be given to the person. Example:

I post a 500 word essay, and then like 2 40 word sentences asking for responses. Instead of getting 540 words worth of credits, the Mod sees that the 500 are not actual posting, and I get 40 words worth of credits.

Now I understand that this would be very tedious and actual modding work would be interrupted to deal with these posts. Now there could be a special group to handle this, like 4 people for each forum, and whenever they get time, they check the group inbox, and deal with that. It doesn't need to be instantaneous, but eventually should be done.

The people posting about music and movies deserve just as many credits as the computer people. Since they are coming to Xisto.com, and doing the same as the PC people...

What do you think?

155162[/snapback]

Yes I Two See No Point In Having That As A No Post Counts. I Was Thinking What They Want Us To Talk About boarding Stuff All The Time Let US Life. I Mean What 60% Of This Is Teens Or Yunge adults so we are in the age time to have fun so let us!!! HES RIGHT WE ARE COMING ON AND KEEPING THE BOARD ALIVE. sry caps

I think it's really unfair that the discussions in the Music, Creativity, and Entertainment forums are not counted but most of the computer-related forums are counted. If you think about it....what else can we talk about in the computer sections? I see a lot of repeating topics there, and also most of the time replies become redundant in a particular thread because it's being repeated even though it's already been answered by other members.

If the problem is people might abuse the system by just copying articles or reviews from other sites.....then it should be required that members should just put it in a QUOTE so it wouldn't add to the post length. :)